New art destination will showcase exceptional collection of international and Australian, including Aboriginal, art
- Two-stage competition seeks outstanding design team for new Adelaide landmark
- Prominent site on Adelaide’s celebrated North Terrace boulevard is adjacent to the historic Adelaide Botanic Garden and close to the Art Gallery of South Australia
- Adelaide Contemporary’s world-first Gallery of Time will draw from the State’s collection to place Aboriginal art and culture in conversation with work from European and Asian cultures
- Competition is open to international and Australian architects – with a requirement for international practices to link with Australian firms at Stage Two
- Stage Two honorarium of AU$90,000 for each of up to six teams
- First stage deadline: 21:30 ACDT / 11:00 GMT Friday 24 November 2017
The Government of South Australia through Arts South Australia and Malcolm Reading Consultants (MRC) today [19 October 2017] launched the Adelaide Contemporary International Design Competition.
This is a global search for a design team for a unique art destination within Australia. Combining a contemporary art gallery with a public sculpture park and meeting place, Adelaide Contemporary will be ‘uniquely Adelaide’, a focus for the cultural energies of this ‘City of Festivals’, which is known for a progressive culture that prizes engagement and participation.