The Walker Art Center seeks an enthusiastic and capable Curatorial Fellow to gain intensive training and mentorship in the field of curatorial practice by working alongside Visual Arts curators on exhibition, curatorial, and scholarly research projects. The Curatorial Fellow may also participate in special projects including internal workgroups, artist residencies, and artistic programs that advance the Walker’s creative leadership, interdisciplinary mission, and commitment to scholarship. As a multidisciplinary institution, the Walker supports opportunities to learn from and work with curators and programmers across disciplines throughout the institution.
- Assist curators in all phases of exhibition development, including: research; checklist development; lender and artist relations; publication image rights and reproductions; publication research; floorplan development; installation; and development of public programs related to exhibitions.
- Write exhibition texts including labels, didactics, and press and promotional materials.
- Write acquisitions narratives on works being proposed by curators for the collection.
- Assist with the production of online content related to the Visual Arts program.
- Lead tours of permanent collection, Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, and special exhibitions to donors, touring groups, professionals, and special guests.
- Research and present lectures for gallery educators, potential funders, Board, or other groups.
- Participate in donor and community relations through attendance at Walker events, including receptions, public programs, collector events, and openings.
- Provide clerical support to curators as needed, including correspondence, loan requests, and mailings.
- Participate in Walker’s community and outreach efforts by regularly attending openings at local arts organizations, conducting studio visits with local artists.
- Participate in critiques, juries, and other arts activity in the community as invited.
- Fellowship begins November/December 2017 and ends November/December 2019; a 2-year term
- Salary $35,000/year. Excellent benefits package, museum discounts, Walker membership, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals as well as support some remarkable artists, events, and programming
- Full-time; Exempt
- M.A. preferred in art history, museum studies, or a related field; a specialization in contemporary (post-1960) art preferred. Exceptional B.A. degree-holders with significant museum or gallery experience will be considered.
- 1+ years of curatorial or related experience required. Knowledge of current practices in the field is preferred.
- Solid art-historical research skills and ability to conduct original, independent research.
- Strong written and verbal skills; demonstrated ability to write for general audiences.
- Well-organized, detail oriented, and demonstrating excellent planning and implementation skills.
- Must be proactive, an independent problem solver, able to anticipate needs on projects, and able to track and meet multiple deadlines.
Please send complete applications materials* as MS Word or PDF attachments only to: [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications received by September 15, 2017.
*Application materials must include:
- Letter of interest
- Names of 3 references with contact information
- 2 writing samples: one sample under 10 pages, and one short text written to a general audience.
We respectfully ask that there be no phone calls or follow-up emails.
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace as well as increasing diversity in our workforce. We are an EOE/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.