RISD is seeking a Director of Design to convey the collective imagination of the college community through integrated print and digital communications that engage and inform diverse audiences, including prospective and current students, donors, faculty members, alumni and the general public.
The director, who reports to the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, drives the vision and direction of RISD’s visual presence and leads a three-person design team. Working directly with RISD’s leaders on highly visible projects of great impact, the director manages the representation of the college’s brand both internally and externally.
In addition to a sophisticated visual sensibility and a strong record of outstanding design practice, the ideal candidate is a strategic thinker and collaborator with excellent management, interpersonal and communications skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field required, MFA preferred.
• At least seven years of increasingly challenging design experience.
• Previous experience managing others design professionals.
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects in a team environment, manage multiple priorities responsibly and work well under deadlines. Able to influence non-report teams.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills. Must be able to build good working relationships with campus partners and team members, and give and receive constructive feedback.
• A strong record of outstanding design practice and a sophisticated visual sensibility. Proficiency with design software. Computer literacy and an understanding of Web interface design, HTML coding, and CSS. Highly skilled in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, multi-page layout and all print production techniques. Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, and experience with photography preferred but not essential.
• Ability to work across a range of projects including identity design, print collateral, publication design and online experiences.
• Excellent typographic skills, an understanding of visual systems and an eye for detail and knowledge of design history. Demonstrated ability to successfully translate complex ideas into compelling, intuitive visuals for a highly visual community.
• Ability to analyze and evaluate the efficacy of graphic design projects and adjust and innovate accordingly.
• Demonstrated ability to prepare complex files for print production, review and comment on printer’s proofs and press check projects with a keen eye for detail. An understanding of production requirements for digital media formats to be used in websites, email, video, and other digital communication.
• Ability to develop and monitor budgets and production schedules.
• Interest in art, design and art education.