The City of Surrey strives to protect the natural environmentwhile supporting urban growth. As part of that commitment, the Parks, Recreation & Culutre Department is seeking a Parks & Recreation Planner to help plan and design the City’s public domain including parks, community facilities, urban plazas and streetscapes.
The Parks and Recreation Planner will play an integral role in creating public spaces, which include the development of the Newton Urban Park and the Clayton Community Centre.
This role will:
- Collaborate with the community to plan and design new parks;
- Lead in preparing sketches, design drawings, and other materials to support the parks planning process;
- Manage the work of consultants, and supervise junior staff;
- Work within a team developing land use plans to identify locations and features for new parks.
The position will also lead public consultation efforts that include:
- Conducting public meetings;
- Leading focus group sessions during planning exercises, and;
- Presenting to the Parks, Recreation and Culture Committee, Committees of Council and stakeholder groups.
We’re looking for someone who is excited about building communities through excellent design and has a keen interest in habitat protection and enhancement.
As the ideal candidate, you’ll have a strong knowledge of both sustainable planning principles and contemporary approaches to urban planning and design. You have proven leadership skills and the ability to build effective working relationships with both the public and City staff. You can also effectively communicate plans and ideas to a variety of different audiences.
You will also have:
- A Master’s Degree in Planning or Landscape Architecture plus a minimum of 5 years of experience in Parks, Recreation and Culture Planning, preferably in the public sector; OR an equivalent relevant combination of education, training and experience;
- Advanced knowledge of computer applications including, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud, and standard office applications;
- Knowledge of sustainable planning principles, the Local Government Act and other applicable legislation as well as landscape design and construction standards;
- Eligibility for registration in the Planning Institute of BC or BC Society of Landscape Architects
- Have a valid BC Driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires completion of a Police Information Check.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.