The primary responsibility for the Project Manager focuses on directing and managing projects – from strategy to delivery and implementation – with support from a Project Director. This requires high-level Client services and relationship management, with a strong ability in understanding the Client objectives and driving the strategic direction of the project. The responsibilities include being able to anticipate and balance the Clients and studio needs, and lead the team in delivering on them. Project Managers must ensure timelines and budgets are proactively maintained, and team communication is consistent and timely. Client satisfaction and project profitability are key metrics for success.
Project Managers must have strong experiential graphic design skills, with the ability to think in three dimensions and an understanding of substrates, production methods and costs for products/processes utilized in environmental graphic design. Expertise includes strong comprehension of architectural scales, sections, plans and elevations, and must be able to read and interpret architectural documents and shop drawings. Responsibilities include review of and in collaboration with the senior design team, site analysis, programming (sign location plans + strategy), design intent documentation, sign schedules and message schedules for complex wayfinding for interpretive and sport-related environments.
Project Managers work closely with the Project Directors and/or Partner-in-Charge to respond to Client questions pertaining to budget, production and timeline.
The ideal Project Manager candidate with have a balance of knowledge and experience in four key areas: Design, Architecture, Project Management and Sports.
- Client service: Cultivate and maintain a positive working relationship with all client representatives, and partners working on the project; proactively anticipate and respond to the clients requests/needs; ensure client is satisfied with design quality and service.
- Strategy + research: With support from Senior Project Manager, develop and drive the core strategy and positioning for projects. Direct and conduct the appropriate level of research and analysis as it relates to the conceptual development and documentation of the project.
- Team management: Communicate clear deliverables and schedules to creative project team and follow up as needed to ensure deadlines and expectations are met. Ensure team communication is delivered in a consistent and timely fashion.
- Presentations: Organize and set up Client presentations. Co-Lead and give successful presentations; express creative thoughts articulately in internal brainstorms and client presentations.
- Schedule management: Create and maintain project schedules for key milestones, client approvals and deadlines. Use expertise to suggest options to maintain schedule. Forecast and track key project metrics.
- Project budget management: For assigned projects, ensure weekly analysis and reporting. Effective management of changes to budget and/or commitments to ensure projects are completed under budget, and timely and accurate budget reporting to the client.
- Quality control: Responsible for the quality and accuracy of all deliverables; proofread; spell check; ensure deliverable responds to all client feedback before sending to client.
- Construction administration: Manage all aspects of construction administration process including budgeting, scheduling, submittals, and final reports; coordinate bidding, supervise fabrication process to ensure final product is consistent with approved design intent; review proofs; attend prototype reviews; attend site visits; construction administration of design intent.
- Project documentation: Provide timely and accurate project documentation and reporting including but not limited to: creation and documentation of all job specific correspondence, such as meeting notes and project approvals, project directories and project status updates to keep clients and team members updated.
- Resource planning: Plan and review project resource requirements on a weekly basis with Senior Project Manager to ensure appropriate staff is planned to deliver on project requirements.
- Project travel coordination: Coordinate with Project Coordinator and/or Studio Assistant on project-related travel for team members.
- Proposals: Creation of proposals for new business and/or additional services including: resource planning, budgeting hours, scope of work, scope of services, project development schedule and timelines. Proposals created in Adobe InDesign.
- Contract administration + Invoicing: Manage project service contracts and change orders, and verify appropriate vendor insurance certificates; Coordinate invoicing client based on agreed payment schedule; manage project expense budgets and provide team and client with status reports as necessary.
- Database management : build project-related databases in Brand Warehouse™ or Sign Agent Pro; enter specifications into database and maintain database throughout project; collaborate with design team to ensure database is accurate.
- Production coordination: coordinate with project vendors for prototyping and gathering specifications; release final artwork files and spec sheets to project vendors; review material and digital proofs with project team; compile and provide timely feedback to vendors as necessary; ensure all production files and installation guidelines are delivered to project vendors on schedule.
- Critical Thinking: Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Technology: Knowledgable about emerging and advanced technologies for the design industry — solutions, specifications, costs and installation information.
- Fabrication costs: Understand substrates, production methods and costs for products/processes utilized in graphic design/environmental graphic design; knowledgable about associated fabrication costs as it relates to presented design options.
- Design trends: Knowledgable about current trends and design excellence in global community of design.
- Client industry knowledge: Knowledgable about our client industry, specifically sport industry as it relates to our sport clients.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS + SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree, design background with sports focus preferred
- 3+ years of experience in design studio project management
- Experience working with multiple project directors, fabricators and clients
- Experience with Apple O/S and products Expert with digital project management tools
- Experience with FTP and file transfer software
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Experience with Workamajig, Sign Agent Pro & FileMaker Pro a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills; a team player, positive and innovative thinker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Position may require travel