Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
Urban designer (social anthropologist/social geographer)
Foster + Partners is one of the most innovative architecture and integrated design practices in the world.
Based in London, with offices worldwide, the practice has an international reputation, with buildings on six continents. Since its inception the have won hundreds of awards for excellence.
The successful candidate must have experience of both urban design, social anthropology or social geography.
- to seek to understand the design/master plan project and conduct research into relevant urban design and planning issues
- to support project teams throughout the design process from brief development to performing analysis on design options
- develop strategies and analysis on the building and urban scale with a particular focus on advancing the understanding of social, cultural and psychological dimensions of the built environment
- maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the current literature, new research, best practice and methods in a project driven research environment, in order to inform, and promote the application of this field of research in design solutions
- develop physical applications from these fields to assess design options, with a focus on, but not limited to, social anthropology, sociology, environmental psychology, human geography, and socio-economics
- to communicate these strategies verbally and diagrammatically to both design teams and other specialists, in order to support a multi-disciplinary design approach
- utilise range of ethnographic and visual resources to develop understanding of design projects’ cultural and social contexts
Qualities and skills required:
- able to demonstrate ability to undertake the above responsibilities
- legally able to work in the country in which the position is based
- able to use a variety of media in the development and documentation of a design project
- able to manage sensitive and sometimes confidential information
- self-motivated and able to take responsibility
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team
- able to manage and prioritise tasks and time efficiently
- able to cope with conflicting demands
- flexible attitude
- resilient to cope with conflicting demands, able to prioritise duties and work effectively under pressure while remaining calm and professional at all times
- able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
- excellent organisational skills
- able to build good relationships at all levels, internally and externally
- able to work as part of an effective team assisting and supporting team members
- evidence of the ability to understand design decisions taken by others
- ability to use some of the following: GIS, PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign, Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
To apply, please send a copy of your CV, portfolio and details of your current remuneration to: email@example.com.