Please note that this competition has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for competitions.
Beam Camp is a collaborative building and design summer camp in Strafford, NH that works with kids aged 10-17 to make the seemingly impossible possible. Our award-winning program has been featured in the New York Times, Wired, NPR, and designboom, and offers young people the opportunity to cultivate hands-on skills while exploring innovative thinking, design, problem solving and the creative process.
An intergalactic salvage station struck by a meteor, a solar-powered cinematic riff on a French film from 1902, a 2-story arboreal kaleidoscope: every year, Beam Camp solicits proposals for unique and spectacular large-scale projects that serve as the centerpiece for a 25-day session of camp, during which they are built and brought to life by 100 campers and staff. Our Project Team works with the winning designers (Project Designers) to translate their designs into the camp context. Precision of craft, skill, and imaginative thinking are paramount in our projects and the work of our staff and campers — please take some time to familiarize yourself with our past projects.
Beam Camp is looking for the following:
- Fantastical proposals from creative individuals and teams, including but not limited to Artists, Designers, Filmmakers, Architects, Builders, Engineers, Musicians, Fabricators & Technologists
- Visionary ideas that culminate with a unique, ambitious, and spectacular product
- Proposals that communicate a clear vision (sketches, diagrams, and other visuals are always helpful) and represent your/your team’s expertise
- Projects that:
- allow us to create the majority of the components onsite and from scratch
- utilize a range of materials, processes and techniques
- take advantage of Beam’s facilities, community, landscape, and rural setting
Beam Camp Disciplines and Facilities include:
- Full wood and metal shops, equipped with a range of hand and power tools
- Welding facilities
- Textile, dye and sewing stations
- Ceramic studio
- Molding and casting facilities
- Performance space
- Technology lab
- Audio equipment and instrument selection
- Food Garden and Commercial Kitchen