Architecture and design students are invited to submit a furniture design imagined for the next generation for a chance to win cash prizes and the opportunity to showcase their work at NeoCon 2021 in Chicago.
Architecture and interior design students are invited to showcase their creativity by designing a furniture piece themed for Design for the Next Generation. This can be a piece for a learning environment, post-pandemic workplace or future-forward commercial setting. These designs must incorporate three different Formica® Laminate products, including at least one from the 2021 Specialty Collection, debuting Oct. 5, 2020.
The FORM Student Innovation Competition is a modern take on the original “FORM: Contemporary Architects at Play” challenge, held by Formica Corporation in 2008. Ten world-renowned architects, including Zaha Hadid, Michael Graves, Bernard Tschumi and Massimo Vignelli, constructed new works of art from Formica® Brand products.
- The Submission must include a color rendering of a Design for the Next Generation -themed furniture design that can be used in commercial and residential settings. Note that the winner may be required to work with Formica to create a workable file, preference is given to submissions in .dwg or .dwf file types. The piece must be no larger than 6’x 6’ x 6’ in size, and dimensions must be clearly noted on the design rendering.
- The color rendering must use three or more Formica® Laminate colors/patterns, with at least one pattern being from the 2021 Specialty Collection (launching October 5, 2020). The colors/patterns must be listed on the color rendering.
- The Submission project description of 300 words or less must describe the project and explain how Formica® brand laminate was integral to the design solution.
- Submission may consist of up to three renderings (views or side views) for the piece.
- The working drawings should be as accurate as possible so that a fabricator can complete the item true to your vision. Renderings must include dimensions, any special instructions for fabrication, and the piece must be buildable.
- The submission form provided by Formica must be emailed along with your project description and color renderings of your design as a packet to [email protected] in PDF file format and be no larger than 10 MB in file size.
- Submission may be made by an individual or design team of up to two members per team; submissions must be entirely your own work. Submissions by a design team must designate one team member as the team contact, but both team members’ contact information should be listed on the project description page ONLY
- Upon submission, you will be emailed a short survey provided by Formica Corporation that must be completed all members of the design team.
- You cannot take any elements from any other artist’s creation, work or pieces.
- You agree that once you submit your Submission, it becomes the property of Sponsor.
The Promotion is open only to legal permanent residents of the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding, without limitation, where prohibited by law), and international students enrolled as full time students at universities in the aforementioned locations, who are 18 years of age or older or, for Canadian residents, the age of majority in your province of residence or university, at the time of entry and enrolled as a student during the Entry Period of the Competition.
The Promotion is not open to students who are currently employed as a professional designer in any capacity or who reside or are citizens in a country where participating in the promotion as provided in these rules is prohibited by local law. All design team members must meet the eligibility requirement for the design team entry to be eligible. If one or more design team members are found to be ineligible, the entry will be deemed ineligible.
Employees of Sponsor and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, sales representatives, advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective officers and directors, or any persons or entities directly associated with the Competition and members of their immediate families and/or persons living in the same household as such persons (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”), are ineligible to enter the Competition. Subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.