Please note that this competition has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for competitions.
Oxford Street and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) are calling for experienced lighting designers and architectural specialists from the UK and beyond to enter a global competition to design the most inspiring and innovative Christmas lights.
The competition is being led by New West End Company, in conjunction with Transport for London (TFL) and Westminster City Council. An esteemed, innovative panel have been selected to judge the competition. The world class judging panel includes:
- Anya Hindmarch, Designer and Trustee of Royal Academy Development Trust
- Chris Wilkinson, Architect and founder of WilkinsonEyre
- Justine Simons, London Deputy Mayor for Culture and Creative Industries
- Jace Tyrrell, Chief Executive Officer, New West End Company
- Councillor Robert Davis, Deputy Leader, City of Westminster
- Jill Entwistle, Editor, Light Magazine
The initial phase of this competition will require lighting designers and architectural specialists, interested in being involved in this first of its kind project, to submit an anonymous design proposal by 26 March 2018.
Four shortlisted designers will then progress to the final round and be given the opportunity to develop their designs and present to the panel. Designers will receive an honoraria payment of £3,000 +VAT for their work in this round.
Following the competition, the chosen winner will bring their design to life on Oxford Street and in the surrounding areas.