The art of designing and building beautiful, efficient, economical, and sustainable steel bridges has been practiced for more than a century. The American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) launched its Prize Bridge Competition in 1928 as a way to showcase the beauty of steel bridges.
A panel of expert judges will choose three finalists from all the projects entered in the Prize Bridge Awards. The 2022 World Steel Bridge Symposium in Denver (March 23-25) will open with live presentations from the teams behind those three finalists, outlining what makes their bridges so noteworthy. The judges will confer, and the winner of the inaugural Bridge of the Year competition will be announced at the end of the conference!
The best bridges are built by teams, and any member of the project team may submit a bridge for consideration. A panel of industry professionals judge the entries in six categories:
- Short span – No single span greater than 140 ft.
- Medium span – Longest span equal to or greater than 140 ft. but less than 300 ft.
- Major span – One or more spans greater than or equal to 300 ft.
- Movable span
- Rehabilitation – Projects that work on an existing structure without replacing primary members. New structures built on an existing alignment should be entered by span length.
- Special purpose – Bridge that does not fit any of the above categories. Examples include bridges for pedestrians, pipelines, and airplanes.
Print-quality photographs and graphics should show off your project and provide an adequate basis for a sound and comprehensive evaluation of the structure and its design.
A thorough image submission would include:
- At least one image showing the completed bridge
- At least one additional image showing the immediate context of the bridge’s environs (omit if the project’s relationship to its environs is clearly defined in other images)
- At least one image showing fabrication
- At least one image showing construction
- At least one technical plan
- Images should be high-resolution (at least 300 dpi), at least 4 in. wide, and submitted as jpeg, tiff, or eps files.
- You may submit a total of 20 images per entry.
- All images must include credit information in the filename.
Any team member from an eligible bridge project may submit it for award consideration. Eligible bridges must:
- Be built of structural steel produced and fabricated in the United States
- Be located in the U.S., defined as the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and all U.S. territories)
- Be completed and opened to traffic between January 1, 2020, and September 8, 2021
Each bridge may be entered in only one category.