Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
Katerra is a technology company transforming property development, design, and construction—from start to finish. We are building an entirely new kind of company that brings together expertise in design, technology, material sourcing, manufacturing, and construction as a single integrated offering.
With this unique approach, we have the opportunity to design and build beyond compromise. Beautiful, efficient, sustainable–we can do it all. The era of design concessions is over.
At Katerra, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, and bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of Katerra’s cultural principles is Diversity. We believe different backgrounds, ideas, and skillsets result in better outcomes. Katerra does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Katerra encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences.
The Architectural Associate position (referred to internally as an Associate Designer) provides immediate growth opportunity to advance your professional, technical, communication, and design skills. The goal of this position is to provide you with exposure both to the environment of a traditional architectural practice, as well as the cross-disciplinary world of Katerra. You will work closely with design teams in providing support towards project-related design execution. On a daily basis, you will help in the preparation of project plans, diagrams, renderings, and presentations. But what Katerra uniquely offers is the chance to collaborate with the many minds in the office who bring with them their experience from outside the world of architecture – industrial design, engineering, construction, development, manufacturing, technology design, and beyond.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist project team in generating clear diagrams, technical drawings, and code analysis of projects
- Understand design intent and goals for successful implementation.
- Assist teams to develop assemblies and details that are applicable to both manufacturing and construction.
- Participate in the Research and Development realm, specifically in the design and documentation of modular and prefabricated building systems.
- Assist with research, data compiling, and documentation at all phases of design, including feasibility, concept design, schematic design, design development, and construction documents.
- Provide graphic support for project teams in preparing for presentations, by generating diagrams, renderings, and other design drawing.
Required Skills & Experience
- 0-5 years of experience in architecture.
- An accredited undergraduate degree in architecture, or a Master’s of Architecture Degree.
- Knowledge of architecture and architectural principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of building materials and construction methods.
- General knowledge of construction principles and practices.
- Ability to interpret applicable building codes, local ordinances, and regulatory agencies.
- An interest or background in any of the following is a plus: cross-laminated timber, modular and prefabricated building systems, design build project experience, affordable multi-family and mixed-use housing design, sustainable and green building practices.
- Strong skills in Autodesk Revit Architecture, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong rendering capabilities and aesthetic
- Proficiency with Rhino, Grasshopper, and/or parametric scripting a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, learning and successfully working in multicultural environments.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Highly motivated, with aspirations for career growth.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Initiative to execute on self-guided, special initiative projects.
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic communication skills that help with collaboration across large, cross-functional teams.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Flexibility to evolve with various challenges and directions as new projects and initiatives unfold.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding, dynamic work environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Disciplined work ethic with great attitude and energy.
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects and teams concurrently.
- An interest in and knowledge of sustainability and green building practice, including LEED, Passive House Standards, Living Building Challenge, etc.
- Desire to change the architecture and construction industry for the better, and motivation to not follow the status quo