WeWork’s Art + Graphics Director oversees the curation, development, and execution of the WeWork Global Art Direction. This position is Interior Design’s key member to develop and maintain the processes, art direction, standards, catalogs, and guidelines to make our spaces come to life and connect our members with a vibrant art scene. The Art + Graphics Director is a key member of the global design group, which is an international, interdisciplinary team that includes architects, interior designers, lighting designers, engineers, graphic artists, workplace strategist, and technologists. With this in mind, you must be able to work alongside our other global functional teams in these sectors, bringing a cross-functional mindset that allows us to grow better together.
The position requires a proven track record of exceptional design thinking, an understanding of our brand, and a deep passion for pushing boundaries within the built environment. A successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment and encourage out-of-the-box thinking, while ensuring our product lifecycle does not lose speed or quality. Particularly important to the role are the oral and written communication skills to articulately express the rationale behind design decisions.
- Be a key member of the Productization team and the larger Design and Product and Experience teams.
- Manage a small team of art experts to deliver best in class standards, tools and innovation.
- Represent and advocate for Art + Graphics and the interior design team within the Product organization at WeWork.
- Contribute to and execute programs in support of the training and development of team members from Design, Development, and Product Extensions, as required.
- Dedicated point of contact for all Art + Graphics standards within Design, Development, Real Estate, Sales, Operations.
Initiative And Project Responsibilities
- Oversee all global art catalogs and strategies – printed art, painted canvases.
- Coordinate and collaborate with individual artists and artist collectives to ensure high quality installations at our WW locations.
- Maintain excellent relationships with vendors globally to ensure high quality art at a cost conscious price.
- Explore opportunities, future collaborations and product enhancements with new vendors/suppliers
- Manage complex initiatives and standards requiring external consultants and cross departmental collaboration.
- Collaborate with Regional Creative Directors to curate Art selections.
- Communicate new standards globally, update documentation and provide strategies for teams to implement.
- Collect feedback from regional delivery/design/execution departments. Provide advice and guidance as appropriate and helpful to the regional teams. Review and advise on region-specific proposed variances from standards.
- Communicate proactively to design, development, and operations leadership, and initiative and project teams with updates such as the status of project completion, upcoming benchmark goals, potential issues, etc.
- Ensure that Art + Graphics solutions are effectively communicated to the broader company, resulting in proper execution and unparalleled member experience. Ensure that design intent is maintained, from design through procurement, and opening.
- Attend meetings for the purpose of providing approval and strategic direction, lead internal and external meetings, responsible for ensuring clear and concise actionable agendas and meeting minutes are distributed
- Contribute to strategy for cultivating and maintaining quality relationships with leading Art and Design industry professionals required for the success of our company’s goals, in conjunction with development/commercial management
- Make critical path decisions to ensure the overall success of projects, including being on time, on budget, and to an exceptional level of design, operational, or member-experience quality
- Communicate changes in standards, tools, or training to regional delivery/design/execution departments (this may include giving training, being available for Q&A, leading workshops to gather information, reviewing regional comments and responding or escalating to global if they require further review.
- Reports to the Head of Interior Design.
- Bachelor or Masters degree in a design or design-related field, including but not limited to Architecture, Interior Design, Fine Art, Graphic Design.
- 8+ years professional experience interior design, graphic design, illustration, environmental or installation design.
- 5+ years experience in design management or project management.
- Experience in all phases of the design process from concept to execution and on-site installation.
- Experience managing designers, artists, and creative projects preferred, collaborating with individual artists and artist collectives.
- Critical thinking and on-your-feet problem solving, ability to craft creative solutions to stressful situations
- Demonstrated passion for pushing boundaries in the built environment, preferably at scale.
- Excellent and concise communication and presentation skills, verbal and written
- Strong time management skills and demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Highly resourceful problem solver and quick learner
- Track record of delivering outstanding high quality design, leading teams on high profile projects
- Facility with budgeting and scheduling
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and incorporate metrics and data (quality, pricing, schedule, etc) into Art + Graphics strategies.
- Passionate and curious about the built environment. Maintain a desire for knowledge about all aspects of what we do at WeWork and look for ways to contribute your knowledge and learn from others.
- Proficient in the following programs: all things Google, Bluebeam Revu, MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Tableau or open source data analytics software
- Fluent in English
- Portfolio must be submitted for consideration
- Prioritize and Be Organized – It is important that you understand your own workflow, and are able to prioritize and work efficiently. You will wear multiple hats — project team member, manager, product expert — so you must feel comfortable and excited about getting involved at many levels of the organization
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to work outside of comfort zone
- Excellent time management skills and experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Impeccable and concise oral, written and especially graphic communication skills. Be able to effectively communicate the rationale behind design decisions through strong oral and written communication skills to internal and external parties.
- Ability to initiate and establish relationships with internal WeWork team members, external consultants, clients, and outside organizations; broad ability to coordinate these parties
- Process and action oriented and resourceful problem solver
- Self-directed with a high level of initiative and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Flexibility and resilience: You can pivot easily, both in initiative focus and strategic mindset, as required by the company’s evolving product and market share. You see a continually developing and shifting goal line as an opportunity to innovate and collaborate
- Open to feedback and strong desire to learn