Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
The Department of Interior Architecture and Product Design (IAPD) at Kansas State University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position for the academic year beginning August 2019. The appointment will be at the rank of assistant or associate professor and salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Kansas State University is a land grant institution and candidates should be committed to a tripartite mission of teaching, creative and/or scholarly research, and service. The interdisciplinary and active learning environment of IAPD provides students with an extraordinary education interweaving interior architecture, product design, furniture design, and foundational design into a strong program of study. In our degree innovation and the art of ‘making’ intersect with evidence-based design in educating our students. We are searching for a colleague with creative energy, passion and vision for the future of IAPD; who values research, design, and making, has a collaborative spirit, and can contribute at multiple levels of the curriculum. We aspire to find a colleague who embodies the four core values: versatility, collegiality, coherence, and peer evaluation.
The main emphasis of this position is Furniture Design. The successful candidate will demonstrate the potential ability to teach in design studios/workshops across the curriculum and the capability to integrate contemporary sustainable methods into his or her design studio teaching. The candidate should also have expertise and be able to develop lecture or seminar courses in one of the following areas:
- material properties,
- advanced manufacturing techniques,
- digital fabrication,
- or design theory.
Submitted work must show design and/or teaching excellence in one of these areas.
Creative and Scholarly Agenda
The successful candidate will demonstrate ability to develop research and creative scholarship based on their teaching and creative interests/ professional expertise. These interests will form the core of his or her scholarly/creative agenda and serve as the basis for promotion and advancement. Please address the following required and preferred qualifications in your submitted application.
- Master’s degree or higher in Furniture Design or related field.
- Ability to develop and teach lectures and seminars in one or more required areas of our curriculum.
- Ability to develop a scholarly/creative agenda related to his or her academic/professional expertise.
- Experience and knowledge of industry standard of 2D and 3D CAD modeling software and CAD/CAM manufacturing.
- Three or more years of creative professional practice experience in Furniture Design.
- Ability to teach design studios/workshops across the curriculum.
- Diverse design background and ability to teach design thinking at multiple scales.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching design studios and capability to serve in a design studio/workshop leadership role.
- Established scholarly/creative agenda.
- Record of service to the academic and professional communities.