Urban Strategies is currently seeking an Associate, Urban Planner. Associate, Urban Planners are responsible for managing a wide range of assignments on projects large and small in a variety of settings. Associate, Urban Planners take a leading role in the management of projects as well as the mentoring and training of employees.
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, work with multidisciplinary teams to advance complex projects;
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, contribute to the analysis and summarization of policy documents, zoning-by-laws and background studies;
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, manage the creation of innovative policies, practices and outcomes;
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, manage coordinate and delegate urban design processes;
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, manage the production of hand and computer-generated presentation drawings or computer models; layout, drafting, graphic and technical refinement of plans and concepts at a variety of scales delegating as necessary.
- In collaboration with Project Leadership manage the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders, delegating where possible.
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, manage, mentor and support junior team members in, the production of proposal and report writing, including conceptual directions, design guidelines and other narratives describing the vision and intent of a project. Support proposal, report and PowerPoint revisions and editing.
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
- Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
- Quality control and troubleshooting of project work.
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, advance small projects and support the advancement of complex projects as part of a multidisciplinary team, delegating where possible;
- Contribute to and, where required, lead meeting presentation and facilitation with clients and at consultation events in conjunction with Project Leadership;
- In collaboration with Project Leadership manage the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets; oversight of budget utilization and project risk management. Support budget revisions, invoice management and finalization. Follow up with clients as requested with regards to invoicing and collections, highlighting with Project Leadership when there are concerns;
- In collaboration with Project Leadership, manage the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
- Monitor and manage optimal resource allocation and utilization for project teams. Lead WIP and write-off management, budget revisions, invoice management and finalization;
- Manage client relationships;
- Report back to Project Leadership any key issues or concerns regarding project processes, budgets and client or subconsultant relations;
- In collaboration with Project Leadership ensure the full team, including business development, is updated as to the project status and that project marketing materials are up to date.
Leadership & Mentoring
- Demonstrate leadership skills and experience in managing team relationships including subconsultants;
- Mentor other team members to support professional growth, embed staff in the firm culture and increase our collective professional knowledge-base;
- Participate in a leadership role on various Urban Strategies committees.
Marketing and Business Development
- In collaboration with Partners and Principals participate in and support marketing and business development discussions and initiatives working closely with the Business Development team;
- Foster relationships with existing and potential clients and explore new business;
- In collaboration with Partners and Principals collaborate on the preparation of responses to RFP’s; strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and team members. Support Urban Strategies’ profile through active participation in industry and professional associations and media;
- Support Urban Strategies’ profile through active participation in industry and professional associations;
- Attend and present at conferences as a representative of the firm.
- 4-7 years’ of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in planning or a related field.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of and experience in applying planning policy and regulations in Ontario, including the Provincial Policy Statement, the Growth Plan, official plans and zoning by-laws.
- Able to connect, engage and influence
- Organized and detail orientated
- Master’s Degree in planning or a related field.
- Membership in OPPI and CIP
- Proven knowledge and/or experience working with GIS
- Strong PowerPoint skills; a solid understanding of MS Office suite.
- Basic skills in Adobe InDesign
- Skills in other Adobe Creative Suite software (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Skills and experience in advances data mapping, management and analysis.
- Fluency in French or Mandarin.