Stantec’s Sustainability Building Performance (S BP) team is a nationally integrated community of practice of collaborative design and consulting professionals. We provide professional consulting in support of innovative, high-performance projects, including building performance simulation, integrated design and green building facilitation, and design guidance for new buildings and retrofit projects. We work with a diverse group of clients and project types in healthcare, transit, education, airport, and commercial sectors in support of projects seeking high performance outcomes and/or certification. These include net-zero energy, net-zero carbon, LEED and WELL projects.
Stantec is seeking an energy modeling professional to join our growing Sustainability Building Performance (S BP) practice in our downtown Toronto office.
The qualified candidate will have considerable background in energy-efficient system design and simulation, rating systems, renewable energy feasibility studies, and energy management & incentive programs. A sound knowledge of HVAC and lighting systems, building control systems, energy conservation measures and building energy simulation programs is expected. Exceptional communication skills, the ability to provide excellent client service and a commitment to sustainable design are essential for this position.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide building performance modeling, analysis and reporting to assess energy and thermal performance of both new and existing commercial and institutional building projects
- Work with clients and design teams as part of an integrated design approach to identify design strategies aimed at improving energy performance, reducing carbon emissions, and optimizing indoor air quality and thermal comfort; provide ongoing analysis through design and construction.
- Assist with energy related mechanical engineering, including analysis and reporting in support of efficient and sustainable energy related projects.
- Write technical reports and deliver presentations to communicate your findings for a variety of audiences (internal and external clients, 3rd party certification organizations, etc.)
- Keep up to date with current and emerging legislative requirements for building energy efficiency in Toronto, Ontario, and Canada, plus sources of government incentive funding
- Be a ‘connector’ to our national energy modelling practice network within Stantec’s broader S BP team
Opportunities For Growth
While energy modelling will be the candidates main focus, opportunities exist to support our existing building energy practice with the following tasks:
- Building energy & water benchmarking analysis. Validate utility consumption profiles using procedures such as regression analysis and weather normalization.
- Existing building energy audits, detailed feasibility studies for energy upgrades and carbon neutral building studies
- On-site data collection for existing building projects
- Measurement and verification (M&V) assignments
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Building Energy Modelling Professional (BEMP) designation (or eligible for registration)
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and communication skills, as well as report writing skills
- Knowledge of relevant standards including Ontario Building Code SB-10, ASHRAE 90.1, LEED, Zero Carbon Building Standard
- Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
The following credentials are considered to be assets:
- Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) designation is an asset
- Experience with building energy auditing, energy efficiency-focused detailed feasibility studies and carbon neutral studies is an asset
- Experience with onsite data collection and measurements for existing building systems is an asset
Education and Experience
- Mechanical engineering degree from an accredited university. Graduates from other numerate disciplines with relevant experience and a good understanding of building engineering systems may be considered.
- Experience in a consulting engineering or building construction environment with a specialization in building mechanical systems, building envelopes, and/or building energy efficiency is required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience using energy modeling software tools such as eQuest, EnergyPlus, IES Virtual Environment.
- Registered (or eligible for registration) as a P. Eng. or E.I.T.
- Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.