You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Business Development Manager at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Business Development Manager, you’ll develop revenue for the region by identifying and securing project accounts that are competitively-held in large regional markets.
What You’ll Do
You’ll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you…
- Actively participate in team-based selling activities when appropriate.
- Conduct all sales activities and processes within the parameters of the Herman Miller Sales process, utilizing the corporate tools and resources provided.
- Develop and build sales volume and revenue to a sustainable level within new accounts.
- Enable a smooth transition to an appropriate sales role within the region to maintain the account and preserve the ongoing customer relationship once the relationship is firm and headed for longer-term results.
- Make the initial key contact with the customer to develop and establish productive/collaborative relationships with customer decision-makers, influencing them by using consultative selling skills to discover, diagnose, and solidify their needs and propose and deliver world-class solutions.
- Maintain Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM) information so the Region Lead can accurately complete monthly forecasts of expected sales volume by account and by product line.
- Maintain up-to-date client information and provide reports as requested.
- Manage projects from start to finish, including the formulation of a sales strategy for the account and the coordination of necessary resources.
- Manage within the assigned expense budget.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Proactively develop and maintain a personal network of Herman Miller “can do” allies to provide sales support to demonstrate design capabilities, schedule client trips, conduct product presentations, and develop a facility strategy to achieve desired results.
- Pursue any/all projects with existing and new accounts within the region.
- Work strategically with business partners within Herman Miller North America (HMNA) and utilize the current Regional Operating Agreements
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have…
- A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, or a related field. An equivalent level of experience will also be considered.
- Three or more years of successful contract or capital goods selling experience, preferably including experience as a dealer direct salesperson.
- Some knowledge of Herman Miller products, services, and culture, as well as the ability to distinguish Herman Miller products and services from the competition.
- Advanced selling skills, including qualifying prospects, lead generation, new business development, account penetration, strategic selling, conceptual selling, issues-based selling, consultative selling, negotiation, and contracts (closing).
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to collaborate and negotiate.
- The ability be an assertive self-starter with the self-confidence and ability to represent Herman Miller in a professional manner.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment at all levels of the organization, and the ability to build long-term relationships with customers and partners.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication abilities with a strong emphasis on listening.
- Demonstrated high personal performance standards, the desire and ability to continuously learn, and a results-oriented work style.
- A demonstrated high level of integrity and business ethics.
- Financial literacy and business acumen.
- Expertise within a dealer environment with sales planning capabilities.
- A willingness and ability to travel.
- The ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.