Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
Our thriving Fort St. John office is looking to add a talented and enthusiastic Community Planner to join our existing team of professionals serving clients and communities across northeastern British Columbia and northwestern Alberta. The successful candidate will have experience providing planning services to indigenous communities and local governments.
Community planning as an area of practice has been one of the strongholds of Urban Systems since our inception in 1975. Our strength is providing professional planning services to clients who are dealing with the interconnections between governance, policy, finance, community urban design and land use, mobility, and infrastructure and how these parameters can affect community dynamics and community health and well-being. More and more of our clients are looking for innovative ideas and customized solutions based on an integrated perspective of these fields. We are looking for an experienced individual who can help us continue to build the Fort St. John planning practice. You will achieve this by leveraging your skills and experience in policy development and implementation, public engagement and communication, and client relations.
Our preferred candidate has a minimum of 3 to 5 years relevant experience working alongside clients in a consulting environment. Experienced candidates who have a proven history of excellent client service skills and working with local governments and/or indigenous communities will be given priority.
In addition, the following attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role:
- Is a fully certified member of the Canadian Institute of Planners, or eligible for certification.
- Passionate about working closely with communities to address key community planning issues including bylaw development, growth and development planning, community design, social planning, and infrastructure management and planning.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of sound planning principles and processes. In addition, knowledge of British Columbia legislative requirements, governance models, and experience in the preparation of policy and bylaw documents is preferred.
- An understanding of indigenous issues and experience working with indigenous communities would be an asset.
- Experience conducting research, preparing a variety of reports, and making recommendations on various planning projects with an aptitude for problem solving and analyzing information, with clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Well-versed in the preparation of presentations, surveys and other external stakeholder and public engagement materials and demonstrates effective communication, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Comfortable with developing and nurturing positive interpersonal relationships with people from varied backgrounds, including team members and clients.
- This person thrives in a team environment, can be an integrator between disciplines and enjoys being involved with several projects at any given time.
- Committed to ongoing personal, professional and practice development and capacity building with team members through coaching and mentoring.
As this position requires travel to nearby communities, a valid Class 5 Drivers Licence is required.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including indigenous communities, all levels of government, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of approximately 450 staff, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
About Fort St. John
The City of Fort St. John is known as the Energetic City for a reason! It is a bustling community with a young and growing population. This is an opportunity to live and play in the North while joining a tight-knit office working on unique assignments creating resilient and vibrant communities across the BC and Alberta Peace regions. Our Fort St. John office, established for over 25 years, has a team of 21 staff who support these communities.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in our company over the long term. We have become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- The opportunity to build professional relationships and work directly with communities and clients to help them realize their goals and aspirations
- A fun engaging workplace that provides an opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing professional development and training opportunities
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
Closing date: October 27th, 2018