Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
As one of the leading planning firms in Canada, Urban Systems plans to continue growing our dynamic planning practice in the heart of Winnipeg’s Exchange District with the addition of an experienced Community Planner to our team. This presents an exciting opportunity for a talented and enthusiastic mid-career planner to join our team providing exceptional service to the communities of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario. We are looking for someone who is passionate about community planning, who wants to lead a new and exciting practice, and who takes the initiative and is a self-starter. We’re looking for an individual who cares deeply about the communities of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario – regardless of their size or location: be it a large city, small town, rural municipality or first nations community! Our Winnipeg Office is looking for someone who wants to build a thriving planning practice and is passionate about creating and supporting vibrant communities.
Our Community Planning Practice has been the foundation of the company since our inception in 1975. Our strength is providing professional planning services to clients who are often dealing with the complex interconnection between governance, land use policy, finance, community design, mobility and infrastructure. Increasingly, our clients are looking for innovative ideas and customized solutions based on an integrated perspective.
With more than 50 registered professional planners across 14 offices, the Winnipeg Planning Practice is already supported by expertise across the company in land use policy, active transportation, indigenous planning, landscape architecture, local governance and municipal finance.
The ideal candidate for this opportunity will have approximately 7 to 10 years of professional planning experience in the Private Sector. We are looking for passionate Community Planner who craves the opportunity to lead others, including our existing team in the Winnipeg Office. In addition, this opportunity will allow the ideal candidate to help shape the company’s planning practice in Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario. Finally, the successful candidate should have membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (both MPPI and OPPI).
In addition, the following attributes would be considered key assets for this role:
- Recognised team leadership, ideally in a Manitoba based planning practice;
- Extensive experience in fostering client relationships and client advocacy;
- Passionate about working with municipalities, indigenous communities and provincial/federal agencies to address key community planning issues;
- Experience working with both municipalities and first nation communities;
- Strong knowledge of planning processes in Manitoba and Ontario (legislative requirements, governance models, funding programs, etc.);
- Strong knowledge of planning processes in indigenous communities (ISC, Land Code, federal and provincial funding programs, TLE, etc.);
- Well-versed in the preparation and delivery of presentations, workshops, roundtables, surveys and other public engagement tools;
- Comfortable with developing and nurturing positive interpersonal relationships with people from varied backgrounds, including team members;
- A self-starter who is interested in building our practice with existing and new clients, including securing project work through responding to requests for qualifications and proposals in a team environment;
- Thrives in a team environment, can be an integrator between disciplines and enjoys being involved with several projects at any given time;
- Experience in the consulting industry and the ability to strengthen our professional relationships through exemplary work that exceeds client expectations; and
- Committed to ongoing personal, professional and practice development, while also being able to coach and mentor less experienced team members in an encouraging and supportive manner.
Closing date: October 6th 2018