Our growing Portland office is seeking senior design talent for exciting new project and growth opportunities. As a Gensler Design Director, you will create and develop overall design concepts, formulate design presentation strategies, and provide creative and process leadership to multiple design teams through all phases of interiors projects, specifically within the workplace.
What You Will Do
- Developing programming, consulting, strategic planning, conceptual designs, space planning, presentations, design development, and production
- Lead the creative efforts on client projects, developing overall design concepts and design presentation strategies
- Mentor and provide creative direction to design teams
- Act as the primary design interface with clients and consultants
- Collaborate with team members and colleagues to promote an inter-disciplinary design approach and philosophy
- Participate in business development and marketing efforts
- 15+ years’ professional experience including proven track record of leading the design of interiors workplace projects, particular in the technology and professional service firms sectors
- Advanced degree in Architecture or Design preferred with a rigorous design education
- Experience creating and developing overall design concepts and formulating design presentation strategies with an understanding of trends in large, shell / core architectural design
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Outstanding graphic presentation skills
- Strong leadership, communication, and relationship management and mentoring skills
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships across the firm, with clients, and with other key constituents
- Strong, persuasive communicator with excellent verbal presentation skills and the ability to communicate complex design concepts to clients
- International design experience a plus
- A sense of business acumen to advise and guide clients as required
- Ability to use 2D/3D software, including AutoCAD, 3D Studio MAX, Sketch up, PhotoShop, In Design and Illustrator , and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of the total project process including fee and team management, schedules and budgets
- Demonstrated expertise in sustainable building practices and/or office leadership in sustainable building practices experience preferred
- Licensure as an Architect or Registered Interior Designer is required
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
Gensler is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the bases of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability you may contact us here . We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.