Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
A Design Lead role at MetaLab functions as a Project Lead – you will play an integral role in the success of our client engagements by supporting your project team with direction, leadership, guidance, and encouragement. No, this is not purely a management position so you will also be expected to be hands on within the design process. This is a great role for someone who has had experience with the pace and variety of agency work and wants to grow their leadership skills while still contributing at a pixel level.
This role reports to the Design Director.
We are not looking for those with experience that only touches in advertising, branding, campaigns, or marketing. We are a digital product shop, and the ability to understand digital product building is paramount to your success.
- Execute hands-on product design work. You will get your hands dirty in the design process alongside your team.
- Provide design leadership and mentorship for your project team.
- Lead client presentations and discussions of your work.
- Push boundaries and break the status quo (without being a jerk about it).
- Assist in scoping out the timeline and requirements of design engagements.
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the design team.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 5+ years of experience bringing digital products to life, ideally as a team lead.
- Agency experience.
- Mastery level design knowledge of UI/UX principles and best practices, and common design tools.
- A solid portfolio of product work that can speak to both your UX and visual design skills.
- Strength in leading a product design projects. You can articulate constructive feedback and know when to nudge your team to do better.
- Strong client management skills. You can articulate the ‘why’ and lead discussions around your process, explorations, and conclusions.
- A solid and up to date understanding of best practices, developments and trends in web, mobile, iOS and Material design.
- Ability to translate stakeholder goals, user research, and complex user flows into clean, usable UIs.
- Prototyping and interaction design experience, ideally with Principle or Framer.js.
- You receive feedback well and can iterate on your designs within a team, no matter how attached to them you are.
- Not an asshole—please leave your ego at the door.
Ideal candidates are based in Victoria or Vancouver, BC, or able to relocate for this role. We may consider remote candidates with the right set of experience.
Please include a link or attachment with your portfolio when you apply. Resumes are helpful to understand your experience but we would like to see work samples as well. If you aren’t able to share work publicly, just note that in your cover letter so we know why it’s missing from your application.