Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
About The Shed
Opening in spring 2019, The Shed will be the first multi-arts center designed to commission, produce, and present all types of performing arts, visual arts, and popular culture. Driven by experimentation, innovation, risk-taking, and collaboration, The Shed will bring together leading artists working in every art form with leading minds in the humanities and sciences. The program will be international, created with co-commissioning partners around the globe, and local, with early-career artists from New York in residence in The Shed’s free creative lab. Located on the west side of Manhattan where the High Line meets Hudson Yards, the unique and flexible building, designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Rockwell Group, can physically transform to support artists’ visions and the work they create. From hip hop to classical music, visual art to literature, film to theater and dance—with collaborations across these disciplines and beyond—The Shed will welcome the broadest range of art forms and audiences, all under one roof.
About The Position
The Director of Graphic Design will play a key role within The Shed’s Marketing & Communications team, which is charged with driving local, national, and global visibility for The Shed’s opening in spring 2019 and developing comprehensive campaigns to publicize all performances, exhibitions, programs, initiatives, and events. The Director of Graphic Design is responsible for conceiving, developing, and managing all graphic design for The Shed in digital, print, and on-site applications. They will work in close collaboration with the Chief of Marketing and Communications to define and differentiate The Shed within the cultural sector and ensure that all graphic design work aligns with and advances institutional objectives. The ideal candidate will be someone who connects deeply with The Shed’s mission to advance contemporary culture and is able to work collaboratively with colleagues across a quickly growing organization.
- Manage and perform or supervise all graphic design, including the work of in-house and freelance designers, to ensure on-time and on-budget completion of all projects, including promotional material, advertising, theshed.org, signage, publications, exhibition graphics, event invitations, membership material, institutional communications, branded merchandise, bulk email templates, and other projects as required
- Ensure that all graphic design aligns with and advances institutional objectives and distinguishes The Shed within the cultural sector and beyond
- Manage implementation of institutional visual identity
- Identify institutional activities that require graphic design expertise
- Guide the work of designers with expertise including but not limited to print design, environmental design, interactive design, interface design, motion graphics, and other design fields
- Work collaboratively with the Editorial Director in defining and managing the production process and ensuring that graphic design is visually and conceptually coordinated across channels
- Assign projects to in-house design staff
- Identify and manage freelance designers/consultants when needed
- Supervise all graphic design related to The Shed’s new building, including way-finding and signage consultants
- Set and coordinate all project schedules, in cooperation with interdepartmental project teams
- Gather and develop design requirements for projects
- Clearly establish and deliver on design requirements for all projects, on-time and within budget
- Act as liaison with outside vendors and partners
- Present design work for review by senior staff and others
- Represent The Shed at design-related conferences and events
Qualifications And Qualities
- 9+ years of professional experience in digital and print design and production, preferably within the contemporary performing arts or visual arts
- BFA in graphic design
- Strong teamwork, leadership, and interpersonal skills, and building/maintaining collaborative relationships
- Excellent judgment and ability to juggle multiple assignments in fast-paced environment
- Strong client-facing communication and project management skills
- Strong typographic ability
- Strong image-making ability
- Strong attention to detail
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite required
- After Effects animation experience required. Cinema 4D/Blender experience a plus.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter in a PDF document along with a PDF or link to their digital portfolio saved as candidate’s first and last name. All submissions should be emailed to [email protected] with “Director of Graphic Design” in the subject line. Only resumes, cover letters, and portfolios submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates