Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
- Conduct research and simulation on the energy, thermal, solar, daylight and airflow
aspects of the built environment.
- Advise and support design teams on the integration of environmental design
concepts and the assessment of building performance.
- Liaise with other members of the team towards the integration of energy
efficient/low carbon solutions in shaping architectural form and guiding the
environmental system design.
- Work with cost consultant to undertake cost benefit analysis of different
sustainable strategies and advanced system options to recommend the optimal
- Support design teams in the use of environmental simulation tools.
- Devise methodologies for analysis and visualisation of specific environmental
- Present analysis results in the form of reports and presentation to clients and
design teams internally.
- Thorough knowledge of and compliance with Foster + Partners procedures and
- Contribute, or otherwise assist, as required.
Qualities and skills required
- Able to demonstrate ability to undertake the above responsibilities
- Legally able to work in the country in which the position is based
- Significant experience in a related field
- Undergraduate degree in an Engineering or Architectural related field and/or
Masters degree in Environmental Design or equivalent relevant experience
Chartered or pursuing chartership to a professional board (C.Eenv, C.Eng, MCIBSE,
- Advanced level in IES and/or Energy Plus
- Proficiency in using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) suites would be
- Advanced experience in carrying out detailed energy/ carbon simulations and
analysis following the “ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G” and “Part L” approach
- Thorough understanding of bioclimatic, low-energy and passive design of buildings
- Thorough understanding of HVAC building systems
- Excellent knowledge of Low and Zero Carbon technologies and their application to
the built environment
- Capability to resolve environmental problems using building physics as a basis
- Understanding of Environmental Assessment procedures (BREEAM, LEED etc)
- Good understanding of application and integration of renewable technologies.
- Proficient in Computer Aided Design and 3D modelling, preferably Revit and/or
Microstation, Rhino, etc
- Good programming skills (e.g. Python, C++)
- Ability to disseminate research knowledge to the Practice
- Enthusiasm to pursue Environmental Design and Analysis as the central part of the
individual’s career development
- Very Good to Excellent Graphic skills
- Experience in the use of the following tools/ software packages: Grasshopper,
Radiance, eQuest, InDesign, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Professional accreditation preferred in one or more of the following:LEED,
BREEAM, WELL, Estidama, GSAS etc.
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent organisational skills
- Able to manage sensitive and sometimes confidential information
- Self motivated and able to take responsibility
- Able to manage and prioritise tasks and time efficiently
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work independently and as part of an
- Flexible attitude
- Able to build relationships at all levels, internally and externally
This description reflects the core activities of the role but is not intended to be all-inclusive
and other duties within the group/department may be required in addition to changes in
the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the post
holder to recognise this and adopt a flexible approach to work. Job descriptions will be
reviewed regularly and where necessary revised in accordance with organisational needs.
Any major changes will be discussed with the post holder.