Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
As the Design Director you will lead a team of multidisciplinary product designers in the delivery of customer-centric furniture designs. You will rally the wider teams around a design vision through effective presentation skills and leadership. This position requires the ability to:
- Inspire, lead, and direct a team of multidisciplinary designers, including architects and industrial designers, from ideation to the delivery of world class furniture and product designs. This includes both in-house and contract designers and the product support team.
- Collaborate with our Executive, Marketing, Operations and Creative Team Leaders to define a design strategy that aligns with our customer and business objectives.
- Use your effective communication and presentation skills to provide a clear visual map of how our collection and products will come to life and increase brand relevance.
- Oversee design development from drawings to prototypes to fully developed products through to on-boarding products for sale.
- Oversee Product Development and Product Support Teams. Support Product Development Manager, Product Support Manager and Contract Designers to achieve their goals.
- Proactively ensure that concepts, designs and desired output are obtainable within the project timeline and budget. Oversee Design Team calendar.
- Develop and cultivate a deep understanding of the Article brand, product collection and consumer and direct all design initiatives to meet company objectives.
- Develop great relationships with contract manufacturers and designers. Work with them to develop new original designs.
- Find efficiencies in materials, construction techniques, etc. Understand cost of materials and manufacturing techniques. Ensure Articles cost of production is optimal for the grade of product being built.
- Work with the QA team to improve designs and find solutions for construction problems.
- Work with the Supply Chain team to assist in improving forecasting and service level of stock availability for new introductions as well as existing items.
- Work with the Packaging team to ensure packaging is solid, efficient, customer experience friendly and environmentally responsible
- You have 3+ years experience leading a furniture design team, 8+ years experience as a Furniture Designer. A degree in Architecture, Industrial Design and/or Cabinet Making would be beneficial.
- You have senior experience in a high-volume furniture manufacturing business.
- You are willing and able to travel to high-volume manufacturers anywhere in the world to oversee design, manufacturing and quality development.
- You have a track record of delivering exceptional design work and ability to lead a successful team.
- You are capable of building furniture, directing prototype construction, understanding quality of materials and their costs and construction techniques.
- You understand advanced furniture construction equipment and machines and can assemble a shop.
- You set a clear vision, align your team around common objectives, and foster commitment to these objectives.
- You seek and execute the best (but sometimes not the easiest) solutions, with an unwavering commitment to do what is right.
- You inspire breakthrough thinking and continuous improvement.
- You have a keen interest in home furnishings, interior design and architecture.
- You subscribe to the less-is-more style of design and have an affinity for the Mid-Century Modern, Scandinavian and West Coast Modern design aesthetics.