OpenIDEO is in search of a Graphic Design Fellow to join our San Francisco-based team.
The Graphic Design Fellow will work collaboratively, creatively and flexibly within our interdisciplinary team and in support of our clients and social innovators around the world. The ideal candidate has a strong foundation in graphic design and may have experience in UX/UI design, brand identity, print, digital, and illustration.
OpenIDEO–IDEO’s open innovation practice–enables people worldwide to come together and create solutions for societal problems that are too big to solve alone. Working with world-class partners, OpenIDEO helps people around the globe connect online and in person, find support, and build on the ideas of many to drive innovation where it’s needed most. Since 2010, the OpenIDEO community has engaged hundreds of thousands of people in 200+ countries and territories, generating more than 17,000 solutions for good. After tackling over 60 topics ranging from food waste to girls’ education to Ebola, people everywhere are designing better, together with OpenIDEO. Check out our website to learn about our work, team, and network.
What you’ll do here:
Being a Graphic Design Fellow at OpenIDEO means bringing your talent and personality to the table to serve as the design expert for our passionate, fast-moving team. You’ll have the opportunity to guide and develop our growing design capabilities in support of multiple projects, including our online Challenges, events and community initiatives.
Throughout, you will create a variety of consistent, quality assets ranging from presentation decks, toolkits to support innovators, graphics for communication channels, print assets, branding, web projects and more. You will be the shepherd for our visual brand identity and will work closely with many members of the team to visualize the complex processes and inspiring stories that arise from our work.
The Graphic Design Fellow will be a skilled visual communicator, adept at operating in a fast-paced environment and balancing client requests and team needs. You’ll have the opportunity to make your mark, become deeply embedded in a close-knit team, and design in support thousands of innovators worldwide.
All candidates must:
- Be passionate about their design and social impact
- Demonstrate a clear point-of-view relating to their design work
- Play nicely with others (OpenIDEO is a very team-oriented culture)
- Be self-directed toward excellent work outcomes
- 3-5 years of graphic design experience across a variety of digital media
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, New Media, Fine Arts or an equivalent degree preferred, or relevant work experience
- A fluency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills; you understand the value of design and brand within a business context
- Expertise creating beautiful Keynote decks
- Ability to tell compelling project stories using design tools
- Experience working with designers from different backgrounds and integrating your design ideas with theirs
- Experience setting-up files for pre-press and print vendors; large and small format printing
- Experience in production
- Illustration skills
- Ability and excitement to work in a fast-paced, active environment
Bonus if you have:
- Clear, demonstrated interest in social impact or social entrepreneurship
- Experience in UX/UI design
- Additional skills in Sketch, After Effects, or digital prototyping tools
- Basic HTML5, CSS, front-end experience
- Experience in brand design
- Image optimizing, retouching, manipulation, color correction skills
- Basic video editing (Final Cut Pro)
- Experience with designing and installing large-scale room displays
- Experience in design strategy and art direction