Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
At Stantec, we design places that are vital—efficient, beautiful, and technologically robust. Spaces that optimize the experience and well-being of patients, families, and caregivers. Our passion and progressive thinking have made us a leader in healthcare planning and design for more than five decades. Through our designs, we put our clients at the forefront of best practice, technology innovation, and high-performance healthcare delivery.
Your role is to work with some general guidance and direction from a Senior Designer or Architect as needed. You will be developing elevations, sections, 3D renderings and architectural details for projects. You will be assisting on innovative and creative new prototypes designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supports project teams in development of design documentation.
- Assists in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of buildings and their components. – Participates in design critiques and pin-ups.
- Interprets and applies building codes and requirements of other regulatory agencies.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various architectural phases including site plans, floor plans, building elevations, building sections, and details.
- Coordinates building systems (structural, mechanical, electrical, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Reviews shop drawings and submittals, responds to RFIs, prepares site observation reports, and other contract administration tasks.
- Coordination of specs with construction documents.
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of building systems and materials.
- Attends project coordination and meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants.
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating.
- Implements sustainable design principles into the building design and surrounding environment.
- Assists in site analysis, research of concept, benchmark, typology, and precedents.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
- To produce design at a level that would be perceived externally as excellent.
- To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- To participate in project team setting.
- To lead one or more teams on medium size projects through the development of design concept.
- Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong understanding of all phases of a project: Schematic Design through Construction Administration.
- To check work of others for accuracy and completeness, and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- To interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Highly effective communication skills- verbally, graphically and in written form, people understand your ideas and the way you share them.
- Ability to work directly with healthcare leadership and end users to identify and prioritize needs in order to deliver optimum solutions.
- To present abstract ideas to the client and client representatives.
- To apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity.
- Knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Requires a strong understanding of the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD,Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, Sefaira, Recent modeling software; Prefer experience with 3D Printer, Laser cutter.
Education And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or related field & Registered Architect.
- Minimum of 4 years experience is required, healthcare experience is preferred.
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.