Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
While representing the department in a professional manner at all times, the IA will work within multi-disciplinary teams, communicating effectively both orally and in writing. Responsible for contributing design creativity, demonstrating and applying a thorough knowledge of building science to develop buildable construction details, planning and executing production of technical drawings and documentation and coordinating construction drawings with other consultants s/he will be responsible for review and application of the Ontario Building Code (OBC), UofT design standards as well as other applicable standards, regulations and laws. The incumbent must be able to work independently and within a group. This position may also be required to independently develop designs for projects or parts of projects and coordinate associated engineering disciplines.
Advanced skills in AutoCAD (most current version) are required and proficiency with 3-D drafting software (e.g. Sketch-up) is required.
Professional Degree in Architecture from a university program accredited by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB) or RAIC Syllabus Program And be a member in good standing as an Intern Architect in the Internship in Architecture Program (IAP) of the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA)
Minimum four years’ demonstrated experience in a role responsible for drafting, drawing production drawing coordination and contributing to all stages of a project from project inception to completion, including site investigation and analysis, design, design development, and contract document preparation in an architectural office. Experience in shop drawing review, site review, contract administration, office and field functions, and close-out document review.
- on a variety of project types and sizes including offices (including meeting and conference facilities), institutional projects (classrooms, labs, libraries etc.) and heritage properties, whether listed or designated;
- developing designs for projects, synthesizing client’s needs into creative, technically sound and cost effective design solutions
- planning, executing and coordinating clear, well organized, high quality technical drawings and documentation using AutoCAD either independently or as part of a team; independently developing technical solutions and construction details using sound building science principles;
- analyzing the OBC, Standards, Regulations and Laws to ensure project compliance;
- preparing and applying design and calculations required for code analysis;
- understanding the impacts of the architectural design and design changes on engineering disciplines;
- producing clear and concise communications both orally and in writing with various project stakeholders;
- with a variety of construction methods and an understanding of a variety of engineering systems;
- demonstrated experience producing 3D sketches from design drawings; and
- participating in field and office tasks in contract administration.
Must be detail-oriented and able to demonstrate strong design sensibilities working independently as required to develop design solutions. Demonstrated knowledge of building science, building systems, design/detailing (interior and envelope) in order to independently develop construction details.
Strong working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, in particular parts 3, 9 and 11.
Advanced proficiency in the most current version of AutoCAD including the effective use of layering and xrefs to produce drawings that are clear, well-organized and communicate the design and construction intent effectively. In addition, must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Professional. Knowledge of 3-D drawing software (Sketch-up), Photoshop and InDesign is an asset. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and must be able to communicate in a clear, professional, articulate and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
Demonstrated ability to work equally well independently or in a team; ability and willingness to multi-task while maintaining high quality results and contributing to multiple projects; ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure to meet competing deadlines on multiple projects; must be motivated, well-organized, and detail-oriented; and must show initiative, ability to problem-solve and to follow through on assignments.
Closing date: December 9th, 2018