Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
‘We favor the strategic over the thematic, the cosmopolitan over the typological, and the atmospheric over the static. Ever-focused on the contemporary, we take diligent note of the past while day-dreaming the future.’
Rafael de Cárdenas / Architecture at Large (RDC/AAL) is an AD 100 multi-disciplinary practice founded by Rafael de Cárdenas in 2006. Prior to founding his own design studio, de Cárdenas worked for Calvin Klein as a men’s collection designer and as a creative director for production house Imaginary Forces. He has been named a Featured Designer for AD France Collector, honored as the 2016 Maison & Objet Americas Designer of the Year and recently served on the esteemed jury panel for Cooper Hewitt’s 2017 National Design Awards.
RDC/AAL maintains a small, dedicated, staff of professional designers with diverse backgrounds. Based in New York City and working internationally, we provide services within architecture and interiors, art advisory, furniture design and brand development on commercial and residential projects. RDC/AAL’s interest in creating environments with moods, as opposed to any specific style, has garnered a wide array of global clients including Nike, Baccarat, Kenzo, Cartier and Delfina Delettrez. Recent design collaborations include a sweeping contemporary overhaul within Saint Petersburg’s historic Au Pont Rouge department store, the NYC flagship store and a line of sunglasses for the Korean eyewear brand Gentle Monster, and the new Demisch Danant Gallery for 20th-century design in Greenwich Village.
We are currently seeking an intellectually and culturally curious Mid Level Designer/Project Manager with 5 to 8 years of experience matching the diversity of our body of work across retail, residential, hospitality, integrated objects and experiential design. The Mid Level Designer/Project Manager will work amidst a dynamic group of international designers, reporting directly to the Owner and the Design Director.
The Mid Level Designer/Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing 2 to 3 projects at a time to ensure quality of work and design intent, schedule and budget. Working alongside other senior staff, the Mid Level Designer/Project Manager will be responsible for directing junior and entry-level/ intern designers on projects of varying scale and typology.
The Mid Level Designer/Project Manager will liaise with an array of high-profile clients and notable vendors on a regular basis and must observe and execute internal and external standards for conduct, decorum and aesthetics. Communication in English in written and verbal forms must be fluent and handled with clarity and efficiency. The Mid Level Designer/Project Manager will contribute to the creative growth of the studio and will be well-versed and engaged in a global cultural dialogue, both within the office and outside it.
- Education: an undergraduate and/or graduate degree in architecture or a related field
- Experience: 5 to 8 years of professional experience in a design studio
- Diverse Portfolio: varied experience with residential, hospitality and commercial architecture and interior projects with extensive FF&E experience, ranging from small objects and spaces to large scale, ground-up projects, and from temporary installations to permanent designs highly preferred but not all required; Main emphasis will be on residential and hospitality interior design and decoration
- Technical Proficiency: high-level proficiency in AutoCAD (Drawing set experience), Rhino, V-Ray, Adobe Creative Suite and Excel
- Design and Visualization: ability to take projects from concept through construction, including hands-on conceptual sketches and renderings, physical modeling, and design and construction drawings and documentation; extensive knowledge and experience with a large array of finishes and the ability to create material palettes; extensive knowledge and experience of NYC consultants, showrooms and vendors.
- Project Management: reviewing and redlining all design work from design team; liaising directly with clients; construction administration, project scheduling, technical detailing and consultant coordination; ability to anticipate problems and follow-up on tasks without being prompted is necessary
- Studio Leadership: experience in, and willingness to, train staff in new or improved drafting and/or rendering techniques, operations, workflow and protocol
- Design Leadership: experience establishing design criteria for managed projects and excellent knowledge of design history; contribution, through active sharing of personal interests, events/openings and in-house presentations, to the creative growth of the studio and staff
- Approach: resourceful, independent but collaborative, and actively learns from hands-on experience; thrives in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary setting; collaborative spirit within a small, energetic team
All applicants must be currently located in NYC and authorized to work in the United States. RDC/AAL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salary will be dependent upon experience and references will be requested. Offered benefits and vacation are highly competitive.
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should email a resume and portfolio/design work (PDF, 5MB max) with “Mid Level Designer/Project Manager” in the subject line to [email protected]. Email only please. Only potential candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Closing date: December 21st, 2018