Studio-MLA is a design studio that integrates landscape architecture, urban design, and planning to create places that inspire human connection, unite communities, and restore environmental balance. “Advocacy by design” is a foundation of our practice – a powerful tool to catalyze ecological and social change with inclusivity and authenticity. For more than 25 years, founder and president Mia Lehrer, FASLA has sparked the team’s inventive thinking to address complex relationships within urban and natural environments.
With offices in Los Angeles and San Francisco, our 45-person team includes landscape architects, designers, planners, botanists, and ecologists from around the world. Diversity and multiple perspectives add meaning to collaborations and value to outcomes. Together, we believe in the transformative power of design to recalibrate our shared surroundings for a just and resilient future.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
Studio-MLA seeks a passionate Mid-Level Landscape Architect/Designer with a minimum of 6-8 years of professional experience as a creative thinker with high-level design skills in the field of Landscape Architecture to join our Los Angeles office. Project sector work will vary and may include institutions, infrastructure, waterfronts, urban core, complex infill, and parks, in California and beyond. The candidate will be a design resource, developing innovative and thoughtful solutions to address environmental issues and demonstrating inspirational thinking to engage large multi-disciplinary project teams and our own studio-wide design discourse.
KEY ASPECTS OF THE POSITION
- Experience working from conceptual design through construction, demonstrating dependable knowledge of creative thinking, constructability, and feasibility
- Expertise using a wide range of design tools from hand sketching to digital modelling to validate concepts through the design process
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic communication skills to engage with project teams
- Ability to meet deadlines, respond to timely project delivery, and work effectively within a collegial and collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of issues facing communities of all incomes and a high level of cultural competency
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Degree in landscape architecture is preferred
- Minimum of 6-8 years professional experience
- Working knowledge of the latest versions of AutoCAD, LandF/X, Adobe Creative Suite, Revit, SketchUp, Rhino, and Lumion.Strong digital graphics abilities (hand illustration skills a plus)
We are a woman-owned, minority-owned studio with a deep commitment to recruiting and retaining an outstanding and diverse team. The studio is a welcoming, collaborative, hands-on space where each of us is encouraged to create, investigate, and explore.
Compensation commensurate with experience and skill level.