The Parks, Recreation and Culture Department strives to protect the natural environment and provide park space while supporting urban growth. Within the Department, the Parks Division is responsible for the delivery and operation of Surrey’s parks system which is over 6,800 acres in size. Parks provide a wide range of outdoor recreation opportunities for the City’s residents while also protecting valuable forests and sensitive ecosystems.
The Parks Planning Technician will provide varied support to Parks, Planning, Research & Design staff, including research, technical planning and administrative assistance. The position reports to the Parks Planner and is part of a team of planners and designers.
- Assist planners in the review of development applications, including rezoning, subdivision and DVPs, commenting on issues such as parkland interface and environmental impact,
- Support community engagement exercises, including open houses, workshops and meetings, through the preparation of information boards and other related materials,
- Conduct site visits, photograph park sites and gather passive data on park amenity usage,
- Prepare basic maps, charts and graphs related to research and planning activities,
- Prepare non-complex reports and correspondence,
- Provide technical assistance to the Planners in carrying out other planning duties.
The successful candidate will have a general knowledge of regulations, policies, procedures and standards related to planning and design, including knowledge of planning and design principles and practices. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing including preparation of correspondence, written reports, web content and presentations is essential. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public will ensure your success in this position.
- Completed a bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, recreation services or a related field from a recognized post-secondary educational institution,
- Additional education in planning, related work experience or an equivalent combination of related training and experience will be considered,
- Knowledge in using the Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop), Arcmap (GIS) and Office Suite.
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires completion of a Police Information Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.