Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
As one of southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities, Vaughan has a dynamic and diverse population of more than 320,000. With one of the top-performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Responsible for participating in short-term and long-term planning of the Parks and Open Space System to meet the city-wide outdoor recreational needs of the community. Provides support to ensure consistent, timely and comprehensive technical review of development applications related to the acquisition and development of new parks and trails, support city-wide projects and initiatives including Term of Council Priorities and support the department in meeting legislation related to parkland dedication i.e. Planning Act, Places to Grow Act, etc.
Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Landscape Architecture, Urban or Regional Planning, Recreation
Planning or a related discipline.
• Minimum of one (1) year related experience in park planning, land use planning or
recreation planning, with municipal experience as a preference.
• Eligible for membership in a related professional association such as Ontario Professional
Planners Institute (OPPI) and/or Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA).
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• A high level of skill in research, analysis, problem solving, oral and written
communications, and interpersonal relations.
• Knowledge of land-use planning, official plans, secondary plans, zoning by-laws and city-
wide initiatives, preferably in parks and recreation. In addition, familiarity with relevant
Federal and Provincial policy and legislation, notably the Ontario Planning Act.
• Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public, staff, community groups,
developers and other levels of government.
• Demonstrated organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills
• Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications and experience with
AutoCAD, Adobe software and GIS is considered an asset.
• An Ontario valid class “G” driver’s license in good standing with a reliable vehicle for use
on Corporate business.
The City of Vaughan has an employee-focused culture with an emphasis on health and
wellness, work-life balance, and family benefits.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.