Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
As a Senior Planner within our Community Development team based in our Calgary office, you will have the opportunity to work on projects in the private and public sectors such as new development plans, Outline Plans, Area Structure Plans, public engagement and infrastructure planning. The role spans a broad range of planning disciplines and would suit an individual with strong local knowledge and experience in Calgary region planning and development approvals. Your focus in this role will be ensuring consistent and high-quality deliverables and bringing your subject matter expertise to inform and offer value to our clients. As a 22,000 person interdisciplinary firm, the business opportunities within Stantec are endless. At the same time, our planning and design team in the Calgary office totals eight staff which provides for a close working environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Development of reports and documents to facilitate the processing and approval of development applications, including Outline Plans, Area Structure Plans, and Development Permits.
- Responsible for managing complex tasks on multiple, large scope, highly complex projects.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the work throughout the life of the project to successfully deliver the project to the client.
- Utilize your knowledge of provincial and local planning policy in the preparation and management of planning policy studies.
- Organize and support public consultation programs including making recommendations of key findings to the client.
- Support marketing initiatives including strategic planning, opportunity identification, proposal pursuit and preparation, client liaison, preparation of on-line marketing content and social media monitoring.
- Maintain and strengthen client relationships and play a key role in client management and satisfaction.
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate the technical aspects of projects for the team.
- Supervise, coordinate and review the work of other professionals who assist in specific assignments.
- Interface directly with clients and provide clear, well-articulated and solution-oriented recommendations.
- Demonstrate active coaching skills when interacting with other team members.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to lead complex land development and community planning tasks.
- Comprehensive understanding of land development processes, applicable government regulations and planning policy/theory.
- Experience with IAP2 or IAP2 training.
- Strong communication, negotiation, interpersonal and time management skills with the ability to function in a high volume, challenging environment.
- In-depth knowledge of planning policies and processes in Alberta, specifically in the Calgary region.
- Experience presenting before Planning Commissions and Councils.
- Highly effective in assembling and leading multi-discipline teams on complex projects.
- Demonstrates ability to readily identify potential problems on a project.
- Efficient project management of multiple concurrent projects.
- Highly effective in building and maintaining client relationships.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent in Planning with full CIP/APPI membership and a minimum of 8 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel may be required to attend meetings with clients and review agencies. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.