Gerrard Design is an office focused on the analysis, design, and visualization of communities. For a small firm, we have the unique ability to combine expertise in the disciplines of Urban Design, Planning, GIS, and Landscape / Architectural Design. Our progressive approach and attention to detail have offered us the opportunity to work on several prominent, urban projects including Lakeview Village in Mississauga.
We have built a reputation of producing, graphically engaging design work which encompasses community development at many scales. From regional systems to individual lots and land use to built form, we are able to dig into the details and help reveal opportunities. Sustainability, vibrant communities, and ultimately quality of life, are at the core of our values.
Our office is located in Toronto’s Leslieville neighborhood, easily accessible by transit (although currently working remotely).
- We are looking for a full-time Planning / Urban Design Technician who is looking for the opportunity to play a key role in a growing firm.
- This is a design / technical position that is best suited to someone with 5 to 10 years of experience in a similar role (Urban Design, Planning, Architecture or Landscape Architecture), primarily focused on master plan and site plan design.
- Based on a collaborative approach involving co-workers, consultant team, and clients, your role will primarily focus on the preparation of Planning and Urban Design material within the office.
- Previous project management experience is not required but preferred.
- Prepare master plan and site plan concepts, draft plans, land use studies, lotting studies, built form analysis, mapping, urban development and promotional graphic material, and other planning and urban design related documents.
- Review planning and urban design guidelines to inform design decisions.
- Collaboration with other multidisciplinary team members (co-workers, consultant team, and clients).
- Implement and maintain cad and graphic standards for maps, plans and documents.
- Data management, preparing site statistics, and other technical tasks.
- Researching and compiling information on a variety of planning / urban design subjects.
- Other duties as required.
- This is a planning / urban design position although suitable for the right candidate with a Degree / Diploma in Urban Design / Planning / Architecture / Landscape Architecture / Planning Technician).
- 5 to 10 years of work experience in an office setting directly related to Urban Design / Planning (applicants with other work experience may be considered based on applicable demonstrated ability or through prior course / independent work).
- A high level of proficiency with autocad is a must. Minimum 4 years experience working primarily with autocad / map3D to produce plan drawings (intermediate to high skill level).
- Be organized with attention to detail and work productively both independently and as part of a team.
- Understand the administrative and environmental policies that govern Urban Planning in Ontario.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge and experience of urban design / planning terminology, practices, procedures, standards, and work methods.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and be capable of producing high-quality work in an organized manner.
- Convey ideas graphically, that are clear and engaging.
- Maintain organized, clear, filing standards.
- Good communication skills both written and oral, along with strong problem-solving skills.
- Inherent desire to continually learn and incorporate new strategies / technology into their work.
Experience not required but considered an asset
- Adobe Suite (Illustrator / photoshop / InDesign)
- GIS Mapping
- Graphic design