Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
We are looking for a creative and technically knowledgeable Principal Architectural Lighting Designer with fully rounded lighting design experience and skills. The opportunity and role will lead into the development of a second hub base in Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow or Edinburgh, linking to our creative lighting business. Ideally the successful candidate would have international experience working both in the UK and overseas and be able to run projects from concept to completion with a passion for lighting design.
The Principal Lighting Designer is responsible for collaboration with the architect, interior designer, client and electrical engineer to create a complete lighting design complete with fixture selection and controls. Lighting design will primarily be limited to front of house spaces and building façade.
This position involves attending design meetings, creating lighting designs for the clients, recommending and selecting fixtures, and preparing and presenting submittal packages to clients. Other responsibilities would involve working closely with the internal estimating, engineering and other departments.
A typical week would include:
- Working within a team environment to produce concept and detailed design packages, including AutoCAD plans and design details, specifications and schedules, build mock-ups, prepare sketch design proposals and liaise with architects, interior designers, and equipment suppliers.
- Attend design and site meetings.
- Supervise the work of lighting designers within the team and contribute creatively and technically to projects including research where appropriate.
- Produce accurate, efficient, creative and coordinated lighting design utilizing internal and external sources.
- Conduct ongoing analyses of fixture packages to identify opportunities and provide suggestions for optimal product and pricing selections.
- Develop and mentor Assistant lighting designers.
- Provide excellent customer service, attending client meetings during all phases of the project life cycle and assisting in the selection and approval process while remaining budget-conscience.
- Create and submit thorough fixture submittal packages based on customer specifications utilizing internal resources.
- Act as a liaison between the client/architect and engineering departments.
- Building local client links to increase the architectural lighting portfolio.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Professional independent lighting design experience.
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates both creative and technical knowledge and skills associated to lighting design.
- IT skills including Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, InDesign, Photoshop, AGi32, DIALux and 3D software.
- Proficient with lighting calculations utilizing lighting modeling software.
- Knowledge of the architectural and engineering design process.
- Ability to multitask in a high volume, fast paced work environment with very tight deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of product lines, pricing of lighting fixtures and lamps, and lighting control systems required.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.