Abbott Collection is a leading wholesaler of beautiful home décor and giftware products. We are growing, and we have an exciting opportunity for a Product Designer. The position is located at our head office in Toronto.
Reporting to the Head Buyer, the Product Designer will be responsible for driving research, ideation, innovation, and design of Abbott product, ensuring that designs elevate the brand aesthetic, product performance, and appeal to target customers.
The right candidate will have a strong aesthetic that matches the Abbott brand and will be driven to develop top selling products that will delight and excite our customers. This is a unique opportunity for an individual who is creative and loves to design for the retail market!
What will you do?
- Partner with design leadership to implement brand product vision and direction
- Design original, innovative and cohesive collections of product that meet Abbott’s aesthetic
- Under the guidance of the Head Buyer, translate project briefs into product designs and technical specification packages
- Manage product design projects of varying complexities, including full product development and management – completing spec sheets, tech packs, technical drawings, renderings, and graphic files where necessary
- Art direction for associated product labeling and packaging
- Conceptualize and design – both digitally and by hand
- Liaise with external artists and oversee library of works, determining best use on physical products
- Research and forecast market, materials, and trends
- Assemble and maintain trend, inspiration, colour, and reference boards to drive team inspiration and creativity
- Maintain a high-level of aesthetic judgement, effectively translating trends into products
- Competitor research and comp-shopping (online & IRL) to ensure we are meeting market demands and providing on trend products
- Visually communicate and present designs and concepts
- Establish and drive calendar to ensure all deadlines and key dates are met
- Collaborative team player who builds relationships easily across various stakeholder groups to move initiatives forward
- Outstanding communicator with excellent verbal and written English skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented, able to tackle multiple projects with varying scope
- Excellent project management skills and ability to adhere to project timelines
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to implement and manage details, prioritize, time manage and multi-task with limited supervision and sometimes under time pressure
- Proven ability to independently organize and prioritize tasks and workload
- Ability to succeed with minimal supervision
- Able to prioritize and shift projects due to changing business needs
- Takes direction and responds favourably to change
- Assumes ownership and accountability for projects
- Proficient in Adobe CS programs (In Design, Photoshop and Illustrator), chosen 3D drawing software, Microsoft Office
- Degree in design or equivalent experience
- 3 to 5 years of product design experience, preferably with home decor and accessories