Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
Are you passionate about the improvement and growth of Edmonton’s open spaces? Do you have a strong project management background and an interest in mentoring others? Can you see yourself leading others and supporting community partners bring their goals and projects to life?
The Open Space program includes engaging projects in the river valley, golf courses, and district and neighbourhood parks.
The first duty of a Program Manager is to the strategy, priorities and direction of the Unit.
- Through this shared accountability, Program Managers must plan, organize, lead and execute the work of a specific team of Project Managers and Coordinators ensuring alignment with the overall Unit and Section direction.
The second duty of a Program Manager is for the successful oversight and/or completion of a series of related projects.
- The Program Manager leads and directs Project Managers accountable for a variety of projects that are related by location, asset type, project type, business partner, etc. The Program Manager may also act as Project Manager on projects, as required.
The Program Manager role in Open Space Planning and Design is your opportunity to apply your project management skill and leadership ability to an exciting program of parks and open space projects that directly enhance the lives of Edmontonians. You will provide leadership, guidance and oversight to a team of project managers and city programs, as well as manage the development of your own projects.
What’s even more exciting is the ability to make your mark, develop process & tools, come into an environment where you can make it your own and take ownership.
We have all said “If it was me, I’d do this”; now’s your opportunity!
Working in an integrated business model, here is a brief overview of what the Program Manager, Open Space Planning & Design is accountable for:
Program & Project Management
- Develop and implement unit processes and track performance measures to ensure successful delivery of projects
- Apply systems thinking to manage multiple ongoing and concurrent projects, leveraging existing resources and ensuring successful delivery of the project outcomes
- Exemplary adherence to the Project Management methodology, policies, processes and core requirements, guiding the expectations for Project Manager knowledge excellence
- Create, leverage and maintain strategic relationships necessary to advance the goals and objectives of programs/projects, including those within IIS and with citizens,
- Council, business and industry partners Manage, monitor and report project milestones through detailed plans and schedules, ensuring the project is on budget, on schedule, and within the defined scope and quality
- Perform all activities related to thorough risk management for all projects Public and
- Stakeholder Management
- Develop and implement robust public/stakeholder engagement processes and activities
- Manage the procurement and contract processes, direct and coordinate the work of consultants and contractors
- Mentor and coach staff in a manner that fosters a culture of growth, development and continuous improvement
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams consisting of consultants, contractors, business partners and stakeholders
- Lead, establish and exemplify an inspiring, constructive and supportive team culture
- Act as an agent of change and foster an open environment of continuous input and feedback from staff
- Ensure project managers are empowered and have the competencies, tools, and equipment required for them to perform their roles
- Develop and implement staff performance development and management plans; manage staff issues, disciplinary actions and processes; and conduct recruitment and selection processes
- Translate strategy into operational processes, approaches, and competencies
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of project management processes and practices
- Ensure compliance with all applicable policies, directives, guidelines and processes; ensure all procedures are complete and required approvals of program/project deliverables are obtained
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in a related field such as Engineering, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Business, Planning or Project Management
- 6 years progressively responsible team and program/project management experience with a Degree
- 8 years progressively responsible team and program/project management experience with a Diploma
- Comprehensive understanding of planning and design related to architectural, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and landscaping disciplines
- Strong program/project management skills including an understanding of project management methods and techniques (PMBOK best practices)
- Demonstrated experience leading Project Managers and multi-disciplinary teams in the delivery of projects
- Strong contract management skills including selection process, claims management and performance evaluation
- Proven planning, organizational and problem solving skills
- Experience developing and implementing communications and public engagement plans
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills with experience in solving complex and sensitive issues
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including report writing and presenting
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop strong, strategic, relationships and deliver work in a collaborative, integrated manner
- Experience managing and working with external consultants
- Working knowledge of relevant codes, legislation, regulations, policies and procedures (OH&S, Environmental, Builders Lien Act, etc.)
- Applicants may be tested
- Coursework/training in project management (PMP); financial management; or other leadership training
Closing date: February 1st, 2019