SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Senior Architectural Design Professional for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
- Completion of five or six-year architectural degree program.
- Minimum of five years total professional experience; experience in all phases of project work including preparation of conceptual, schematic, design development, and construction documents and supporting materials.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of programming and functional adjacencies.
- Demonstrates understanding of building materials, detailing, construction, techniques, building systems selection, related engineering principles, sustainability strategies and building codes.
- Demonstrates expertise in digital modeling and rendering programs, and Photoshop etc.
- Demonstrates practical understanding of the application of digital tools such as AutoCAD, Revit, Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, Digital Project/CAT IA, 3dsMAX, Navisworks, Solibri, scripting and programming.
- Demonstrates proficiency of word processing, presentation programs like PowerPoint and spreadsheet programs.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Plans, schedules, organizes, and executes distinct portions of projects under periodic oversight of Associate, Associate Director, Director or Partner.
- Provides major input in the development of the entire design concept for the assigned work, incorporating all required systems under Associate, Associate Director, Director or Partner with the support of the Senior Technical Designer.
- With periodic supervision, responsible for the execution of a project’s or an assigned portion of a project’s conceptual design, subsequent design development and relevant quality control efforts during all phases of project work in close collaboration with a Senior Technical Designer.
- Develops thorough understanding of design philosophy of projects and provides major input in developing a design and building performance strategy relative to assigned task or area of responsibility and can effectively convey this to assigned team members when appropriate.
- Seeks creative and innovative solutions to assigned tasks and develops appropriate research and documentation to support these solutions.
- Actively collaborates with and coordinates work of consultants and knowledge resources to ensure that project deliverables are coordinated, integrated and support the design concept and performance goals of the project.
- Organizes own work efforts and that of his/her assigned team where applicable;
- Leads the detailed preparation of design documents and contributes to preparation of construction documents during all project phases.
- Assists in the review of design and construction documents in order to comply with the approved requirements of the client.
- Directly assists and mentors assigned team members and, more broadly, architectural levels A, B, C, and D in the office at large as appropriate.
- Sets an example for team effort through the spirit of cooperation.
- Assists with checking and coordinating project documents (including but not limited to drawing set organization, details, dimensions, interdisciplinary coordination items, specifications coordination, etc.).
- Proactively checks, coordinates and integrates work with other project team members who are working on adjacent or otherwise relevant project areas that may not be in the assigned task area.
- Contributes to material and building systems research and participates in the coordination and preparation of project specifications.
- Periodically contributes to construction phase (construction administration) services efforts as required.
- Provides input to reviews of shop drawings and sample submittals as required.
- Provides input for responses to contractor questions, inquiries, RFI’s etc. as required.
- Provides input to punch-lists and field observation reports as required.
- Provides input with regard to field corrective work as required.
- Contributes project document control tasks in accordance with SOM’s quality control program.
- Demonstrates detailed knowledge of local office standards, policies and procedures and can direct others in the use of those resources.
- Actively supports compliance with BIM/CAD project standards and procedures.
- Coordinates with other Senior Design Professionals, Associates, Associate Directors and Design Directors on assigned project in terms of implementing SOM standard procedures and protocols to assure continuity and consistency of project documentation across the firm in support of overall firm wide goals.
- Assists in the development of local office standards, policies, and procedures.
- Is actively pursuing or has achieved professional accreditation and licensure.
- Is actively pursuing or has achieved LEED professional accreditation
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed . Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.