/DesignAgency is one of the most distinguished design studios in Canada and our services are widely sought after, with clients in more than 26 cities and 9 countries worldwide. Our global success is based on our high level of design excellence and our ability to create special environments through narratives developed with the client. Working for leading companies, developers and hospitality groups, our clients work directly with one or more of our partners, reflecting our belief that great design requires leadership, focus and commitment.
/DesignAgency relies on the Senior Design Manager to contribute to and occasionally lead projects. Based on the needs of the project a Senior Design Manager may need to facilitate the entire process of project management for project phases which include planning, design development, construction documentation, construction administration and project close out. A Senior Design Manager must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to project activities to meet project requirements and expectations. Responsible for managing the scope of work, executing the required work with a team, monitoring the quality of produced work, identifying and mitigating risks, and closing out successful projects that contribute to the office and teams.
The Senior Design Manager reports to the Director of Project Management and will be recognized for their ability to oversee the design process from start to finish. Experience with hospitality projects is must.
Role and responsibilities:
- Establish project standards and information to set up accurate project documents that can be utilized and coordinated throughout the phases.
- Assist in developing feasibility studies; if required.
- Coordinate to the established project schedule milestones within the project’s scope, time and budget while maintaining the Design intent, work quality and client expectations.
- Use of project management tools and techniques to assist the team and project management like drawings list, meeting minutes, project update logs, gantt charts, etc.
- Coordination of design intent with contractor, structural, MEP & T, and other various consultants.
- Coordination or production of specification manual when required
- Construction document review (mark-ups) and quality assurance
- Coordinate and collaborate in value engineering process when required
- Attend consultant and construction coordination meetings, conference calls, etc. and relay info back to Director of Project Management in form of minutes and /or scheduled meetings
- Answering and reviewing RFI’s, change orders, shop drawings, site instructions with the assistance when required
- Manage purchasing and oversee installation when required.
- Site administration, visits, meetings, documentation of site progress & condition
- Quality control of site work
- CAD Standards: establish, evolve and maintain construction standards
- Assist in creating and archiving the templates and typical details for future project use for internal database
- Utilized established standard steps and process on how to issue and archive drawings and specs
- Mentor project managers and project designer(s) and technician
- Initiate opportunities to increase the firm’s design capabilities.
- Proactively and effectively share design/construction knowledge with other team members.
- Effective task prioritization/delegation, problem-solving and decision making skills
- Contribute to the development of systems and processes for improved design, technical quality, or client service.
- Create sound relationships and setting the right example with colleagues, clients, contractors, and suppliers, to promote repeat business.
- Personal/Team and Project Time Management
- Scope Management
- Project Budget Management
- Quality Management
- Project Communication Management
- Risk Management
- Procurement Management
- Client & Consultant Management
- Project Close Out & Integration Management
- Assign tasks and schedule deliverables to project designers and technicians
- Review project designers and technicians timesheets
A Senior Design Manager must be in possession of an Interior Design Diploma or equivalent, with at least 10 years of working experience, and will need to have an understanding of the local building codes for Ontario. The Senior Design Manager will need to have working experience with AutoCAD (Sketch-Up, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign are beneficial). These are the minimal requirements for this position, with all other experience being advantages for the successful candidate.
Achievement of professional credentials will be taken into account in promotion and compensation decisions, and preparatory studies or test costs may be eligible for firm support.
A portfolio is required as part of your application. Please share a link to or a digital copy of work samples or your portfolio.