Provide design leadership on various projects. May oversee the entire design
process or assist as a technical expert on specialized design and act as a design
resource. May work on several concurrent projects of varying sizes and assist in
the education and development of design staff.
Work closely with the Project Leader, Project Manager, and Principal(s) to
complete design and technical assignments. Responsibilities may include
design, production, project management, and contract administration.
Key Functions & Duties
- Work with the Project Leader / Project Manager or other project leadership
such as Job Captain, Design Team Leader, etc. to create work plans,
drawing lists, scope of services, budgets, and staffing requirements.
- In cooperation with the Project Leader / Project Manager, review and
monitor project scope and initiate corrective actions as required.
- Lead the KENNEDY design process including creation of design concepts,
generation of presentation material, and required submission
- Work with technical and contract administration staff to produce successful
design development and contract documentation in alignment with
KENNEDY’s standards of quality, client program, and budget needs
including coordinating project specifications.
- Coordinate consultant activity.
- Work with project team(s) to meet project criteria and deliver scheduled
- Assist with the KENNEDY design process including creation of design
concepts, presentation material, and required submission documentation.
- Participate in the production of successful design and contract
documentation in alignment with KENNEDY’s standards of quality, client
program, and budget needs.
- Chair or Co-Chair / work with Project Leaders to chair design / production
- Participate in client and public presentations.
- Coordinate building and development permit submissions.
- Meet project criteria and deliver scheduled tasks.
- Working with the Project Leaders and Project Managers, build relationships
with clients by proactively responding to program and budget
- Assist in leading design and production meetings.
- Provide leadership, training, and mentorship to intermediate and junior
- Work with supervisor and authorities having jurisdiction to interpret and
conform to codes and bylaws.
- May assist with business development.
- Work with senior leaders in proposal development.
- Properly maintain project records.
- Advise supervisor immediately of any project performance issues and work
to resolve any problems including ongoing review of project quality and
monitoring of budget and schedule.
- Ensure that competent peer reviews are conducted at project milestones.
- Participate in the peer review process for KENNEDY projects.
Minimum Requirements (Education, Experience, Qualifications, Skills, Abilities)
- Recognized degree in Architecture coupled with a minimum of 10+ years
of architectural experience in high quality design of complex programs for a
variety of projects / building types.
- Registration with a provincial regulatory board an asset.
- Capable of providing leadership in design.
- Strong technical proficiency in computer usage and software for design
and understanding of CAD operations; strong Revit knowledge is an asset.
- Excellent time management and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated design aptitude and capabilities.
SENIOR DESIGNER continues
- Knowledge of applicable building codes and by-laws.
- Knowledge of construction practices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to build relationships and work well within a team environment.