Studio-MLA is a design studio that integrates landscape architecture, urban design, and planning to create places that inspire human connection, unite communities, and restore environmental balance. Advocacy is a foundation of our practice – a powerful tool to catalyze ecological and social change with inclusivity and authenticity.
For more than 30 years, founder and president Mia Lehrer, FASLA has sparked the team’s inventive thinking to address complex relationships within urban and natural environments. From the master planning of cities to the design of intimate plazas and gardens, the studio is recognized for creativity, pragmatism, and advanced strategies for resiliency across a range of scales and geographies.
With offices in Los Angeles and San Francisco, our 45-person team includes landscape architects, designers, planners, botanists, and ecologists from around the world. Diversity and multiple perspectives add meaning to collaborations and value to outcomes.
Together, we believe in the transformative power of design to recalibrate the natural and built environments that connect us.
Overview of Position
Studio-MLA seeks a passionate Senior Designer with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience as a creative thinker and high-level design leader in the field of Landscape Architecture to join our Los Angeles office. Project work sectors will vary and will involve developing creative and thoughtful solutions to address environmental issues that interface, at times, with large multi-disciplinary teams. The candidate will be responsible for initiating design concepts and presenting them to the client for approval. These design ideas not only respond to the site and client requirements but also support the core principles of the firm. The candidate will act as a resource for design leadership and be able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of creative and inspirational thinking to nurture the team studio-wide.
Key Aspects of Position
- Lead project teams in thoughtful physical and environment-responsive analyses and designs using best practices of landscape architecture
- Experience working from conceptual design through construction
- Expertise using a wide range of design tools from hand sketching to digital modeling to validate concepts through the design process
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic communication skills to engage with project teams
- Ability to meet deadlines, respond to timely project delivery, and work effectively within a collegial and collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of issues facing communities of all incomes and a high level of cultural competency
- Effective oral presentation skills to present the project vision, complexities, methods, and solutions to the client
Skills and Experience
- Degree in landscape architecture is preferred
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience
- Working knowledge of the latest versions of AutoCAD, Sketch-Up, Rhino, Adobe CS
- Strong digital graphics and hand illustration skills
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume, and portfolio for review to [email protected]
Compensation commensurate to experience and skill level