/DesignAgency is one of the most distinguished design studios in Canada and our services are widely sought after, with clients in more than 26 cities and 9 countries worldwide. Our global success is based on our high level of design excellence and our ability to create special environments through narratives developed with the client. Working for leading companies, developers and hospitality groups, our clients work directly with one or more of our partners, reflecting our belief that great design requires leadership, focus and commitment.
/DesignAgency is seeking an experienced candidate for the immediate opening of Senior Designer – Team Lead in our Toronto Studio.
/DesignAgency relies on the Senior Designer – Team Lead to carry out projects and elements of projects. They will be responsible for designing, directing, and coordinating hospitality, commercial/retail, and multi-unit residential with minimal direction and oversight. This person will also mentor and direct staff, and effectively manage client requests and relationships. A knowledge and interest in all aspects and categories of interior design is required, as well as a desire for professional growth and development.
The Senior Designer – Team Lead reports to Partners or others as assigned.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Conceive, design and execute projects of moderate-high complexity from proposal through concept, construction and closeout.
- Strive for design impact through innovative, thoughtful, and functional design.
- Strive for efficiency and to reduce errors, and omissions.
- Generate concept, schematic design, design development, construction documents, bidding & tender phases, programs, and working budgets.
- Work with teams to develop interior materials & finish specifications.
- Coordinate all FF&E and interior architectural plans and finishes and products with the client and project consultants as necessary.
- Lead a team in all facets including collaborative design, mentoring and career planning of staff, and act as the main point of contact on projects.
- Perform regular performance meetings with team and structuring professional development with documentation, of each member
- Lead a team of 3-6 designers working on multiple projects (4-6 projects concurrently). You are ultimately responsible for the quality of work produced by each designer on your team.
- Contribute to the development of systems and processes for improved design, technical quality, and client service.
- Create sound relationships with colleagues, clients, contractors, and suppliers, to promote repeat business.
- Promote knowledge sharing throughout the studio including conducting seminars and presentation to share best practices.
- Assist in the development of project goals, targets and schedules.
- Direct and review design development, construction documents and shop drawings for content, accuracy, and overall design integrity.
- Serve as the primary contact for all sub-consultants, supporting the project designer and principals.
- Use Ajera to deliver assignments on-time and on-budget.
- Check Ajera timesheets for your team members to ensure they are working efficiently and accurately tracking time
- Demonstrate excellent personal time management.
- Focus on service delivery while monitoring the status of assigned project tasks against the project schedule and participate in quality reviews of projects.
- Mentor project designers, intermediate designers, and interns in design practice, office standards, and policies.
- College-level degree (interior design or related field)
- Experience with a wide selection of advanced and various sized interior design and/or architectural projects
- Knowledge of design resources and evidence of creative sourcing and creative problem solving
- Ability to supervise and direct project teams with minimal oversight
- Ability to mentor and direct staff
- High level of CAD proficiency
- Skilled in In Design, SketchUp, Illustrator, Photoshop, and hand sketching
- Strong client management skills and experience
- Must be positive, team-oriented, flexible, and productive.
- Knowledge of Ajera is beneficial
- Hospitality design experience preferred
- Minimum 10 years of industry experience is preferred
Achievement of professional credentials such as NCIDQ and LEED will be taken into account in promotion and compensation decisions, and preparatory studies or test costs may be eligible for firm support.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
A portfolio is required as part of your application.