Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
Steelcase, the world’s largest office furniture manufacturer, is looking for a Senior Industrial Designer to work within its Innovation Center at Global Headquarters in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Innovation Center is a progressive design facility which erases distance between global project teams to foster collaboration and innovation.
Under general supervision and direction, the Senior Industrial Designer understands and applies research insights, design and technology skills and process knowledge to creatively conceptualize and develop unique and innovative product lines, products, and component recommendations. The senior designer will also work with peers from other disciplines, to conceptualize, problem-solve and develop recommendations. The Senior Industrial Designer may also act as the design lead on project teams and begin to provide design decisions and leadership on design process, concept recommendations and communication to Steelcase and Industrial Design management.
Steelcase Design is a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary studio that is responsible for innovative products across multiple brands and complete global portfolio. At Steelcase, designers are given a design problem, not just a project. The design work is pluralistic, offering more breadth to the position and a chance to collaborate with other design professionals from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. It’s a new work day, and Steelcase is at the forefront of the research leading to innovative workplace solutions.
Required Skills and Attributes for Success
• Have a strong portfolio of work, process and problem-solving.
• Have high empathy for user experiences.
• Have a proven ability to research design problems and express design direction in clear,
• Work quickly and effectively through concept explorations in order to illustrate the corners/edges
of a design problem.
• Have an intuitive sense for complex systems balanced with an extreme eye for details.
• Define, own and clearly communicate details, while helping cross-functional teams understand
the relationships between details and overall design intent.
• Be a hands on thinker who is as comfortable in the model shop as they are with CAD or digital
tools for storytelling.
• Be very curious and constantly feeding their intellectual and visual curiosities.
• Understand how to balance being provocative and being pragmatic.
• Be very comfortable expressing their point of view.
Bachelor degree in Industrial Design, Product Design or Architecture.
At least 5+ years of hands-on design experience.
Knowledge of industrial design and manufacturing processes.
Ability to work in all phases of product development, from concept through to production details.
Relocation assistance will be provided.
If you meet or exceed these qualifications, please send your resume or CV and portfolio to Mary Jensen at [email protected].