Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER / SENIOR HABITABILITY DESIGNER
With the advancement of space flight and introduction of crew to SpaceX vehicles, it is imperative that its products communicate professionalism, efficiency, and innovation while inspiring generations of people.
The key challenge of this role is that aesthetics design process within the aerospace industry is relatively new and uncharted territory. Using best practices and expertise from the automotive industry, SpaceX’s first aesthetically trained designers will deliver products that inspire the world while meeting the needs of engineering, manufacturing, and operations. You will also be fundamental in education and implementation of design process elements such as class-A surfacing, clay modeling, component prototyping, and theme development.
- Conceptualize and design new prototypes for design trades and engineering milestones.
- Create and execute design solutions for problems of form, usability, physical ergonomics, marketing, and brand development.
- Create and sketch several different design ideas and concepts to present to different client groups.
- Provide design expertise and feedback for product development.
- Support engineering department with class-a surfacing and sketch models ranging from broad design themes to component-level design.
- Collaborate with the fabrication team to complete prototypes when necessary.
- Aid and develop prototyping process within SpaceX which meets engineering and program milestones and provides operations with testing properties.
- Work with color and trim designers to create designs that consider the opportunities and limits of the color and trim vision, and work with them to create a unified vision for the designs.
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering, while also staying as close to the design vision as possible.
- 4+ years of experience in transportation/industrial design with experience in production and advanced design programs at OEM.
- Experience with digital modeling with IG/NX or platform.
- Experience taking 2D visuals to 3D modeling.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Exceptional design, visualization and graphic skills.
- Great ability to verbally and graphically communicate design concepts.
- Excellent judgment of design proportions and proposals.
- Ability to manage large assembly models.
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- In-depth technical knowledge of prototyping, manufacturing, and assembly process.
- Excellent at creating and maintaining cross-functional working relationships.
- Must be able to work long hours and weekends as needed.