SOM is seeking a Senior Landscape Designer / Architect to join their San Fransisco office. The candidate will have the opportunity to take the lead on inspiring and innovative open space projects. The ideal candidate will have a strong landscape design background and proven success managing all facets of a project.
- Supports and strengthens SOM’s firm vision, goals and values.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the open space design of large-scale projects.
- Develops landscape design concepts incorporating site planning, landscape design, site grading and infrastructure systems.
- Responsible for various portions of master plan and site plan development documents
- Works with the Design Director as the primary design interface with clients, consultants, contractors, and others during various stages of project development.
- Manages work within teams and coordinates with other disciplines on multiple project assignments and guides and encourages the development of staff.
- Participates proactively in international / domestic marketing and business development efforts.
- Master Degree in Landscape Design, Urban Design or Architecture. Licensure required; ASLA and /or LEED accreditation are a plus.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible project experience in the urban design and physical planning profession for projects both internationally and in North America, including 5 years of experience running a team.
- A strong design ethos consistent with the core principles of SOM’s City Design Practice.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and English is desirable.
- Established track-record of high profile, award-winning urban design projects.
- Thorough knowledge of landscape design, construction, detailing, stormwater management, infrastructure and utility planning, and sustainable design practices required.
- A dynamic, creatively-focused and efficient approach.
- Compelling communication and engaging client liaison skills.
- Excellent people management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-pace, highly creative working environment is essential.
- Proven success in business development with positive results.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Autocad, Rhino, MS Office / G Suite, and Adobe CS skills is required.
- Hand-sketching ability is highly desirable.
- International travel will be required.