Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
About this Opportunity
Herman Miller’s Brand Design Team based in West Michigan is seeking a talented and passionate design leader with a minimum of ten years of experience in art direction, design, and team leadership for our North America Contract business. This key position partners with our businesses and is responsible for the creation of concept development for executions across print, digital, and branded environments. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated interest in our brand, is a confident communicator, and is a collaborative leader.
As a Senior Manager – Art Direction, you’ll be responsible for the art direction and creation of communications for Brand and Businesses. You will manage internal and external graphic design resources for the application of brand standards and visual language across platforms of print, digital, and environments, resulting in consistent communications at all touchpoints.
What You’ll Do
You’ll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you…
- Aid in the art direction and creation of visual standards for key initiatives and brand standards, sharing with the Print, Digital Design, and Branded Environment Teams to ensure consistent executions.
- Lead, direct, and manage internal Graphic Designers.
- Maintain regular connection with Global Design counterparts to ensure a knowledge transfer of key brand initiative design styles and guidelines.
- Research and maintain knowledge of emerging design themes and industry trends.
- Select, manage, and direct external agencies and freelancers to ensure brand alignment.
- Utilize sound management skills to effectively lead a team of professionals toward the achievement of business objectives.
- Work in tandem with Brand Design and business leadership to drive the design strategy for the consistent execution of key initiatives across all communication platforms.
- Work with Design Operations for creative project prioritization, planning, and resource allocation for the business or brand.
Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have…
- A Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A Master’s degree in Graphic Design is preferred.
- Ten years of experience implementing art direction and design projects and programs.
- Four years of project leadership experience. Global project leadership experience is preferred.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently used in the Herman Miller office environment and design discipline (Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite).
- A broad understanding of current and emerging design, marketing, and technology trends.
- A demonstrated interest in the core businesses of Herman Miller.
- A broad knowledge of marketing communications strategy and processes.
- Excellent communication skills, including presentation, listening, written, and interpersonal leadership skills.
- A demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex projects in a timely manner.
- The ability to travel as needed to achieve business objectives.
- The ability to work cooperatively both in a team environment and independently, with a demonstrated ability to interpret and correctly react to people, incidences, or situations that are open to misunderstanding.
- Competencies that include strong business acumen, systemic thinking, coaching skills, planning skills, and organizational skills, as well as the ability to be resourceful and timely in completing work assignments.
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of internal and external business partners.
- A proven ability to use good independent judgment and sound decision-making skills.
- Financial literacy, business acumen, and a profit conscious mind set.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.