Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
As one of southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities, Vaughan has a dynamic and diverse population of more than 320,000. With one of the top-performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Responsible for the coordination and supervision of planning projects, including project management related to: the preparation of land use and growth management studies including secondary plans; the undertaking of special studies; conducting research and analysis; the development of policies and procedures; initiating and managing special projects and technical studies; overseeing the the review and approvals of Block Plan applications; report writing; responding to inquiries and liaison duties; etc.; and the supervision of assigned staff.
Qualifications and Experience
• University Degree in Planning or a related discipline and Membership in the Canadian
Institute of Planners and Ontario Professional Planners Institute, and designated as a
Registered Professional Planner (RPP).
• Minimum of five years (5) years progressively more responsible planning experience,
preferably in a municipal environment, combined with a minimum of two (2) years’
experience in supervising professional staff, preferably in a unionized workplace.
* Experience in the supervision of consulting services and participation in public sector
procurement processes (e.g. Preparation of Terms of Reference, coordinating Request for
Proposal process, leading the proposal evaluation process, and experience in making
recommendations on the hiring of consultants to assist with and/or undertake municipal
planning projects, etc.) An understanding of Ontario’s Provincial planning regime including
the Planning Act, the Provincial Policy Statement, Provincial Plans and the Regional Official
Plan (such as the York Region Official Plan); Knowledge of processes prescribed under the
Environmental Assessment Act is also an asset.
• Experience in drafting complex planning policies and guidelines, suitable for adoption by
• Familiarity with Ontario Municipal Board processes and procedures, including working with
legal counsel, attendance at hearings to provide professional evidence, the preparation of
witness statements and participation in settlement negotiations and mediation processes.
• Familiarity with Project Management principles. Experience managing consultants on land
use planning assignments is preferred.
• Excellent writing skills focusing on reporting, the preparation of correspondence and
implementing policy documents.
• Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to
communicate complex information to a variety of audiences and engage in consultation
• Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications. Experience in the use or
application of GIS software and project management software, such as MS Project as
well as discipline specific software (when specified) is an asset.
• Valid Class “G” Ontario driver’s license, in good standing with a reliable vehicle to utilize
on City business, when required.
• Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required.
The City of Vaughan has an employee-focused culture with an emphasis on health and wellness, work-life balance, and family benefits.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.