Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), located in downtown Chicago, is currently accepting applications to fill the position of Strategic Planner.
Under the direction of the Manager of Strategic and Corridor Planning, conducts data collection, technical analysis and writing in support of the RTA’s strategic planning, performance measurement, and multifaceted transit systems planning work. Assists with maintenance and application of technical tools including the RTA regionally-calibrated version of the FTA STOPS transit project ridership model, the RTA Access Measure tool, and a Strategic Asset Management database. Contributes to performance measurement activities, market analysis, strategic planning documents, surveys, and studies. Prepares written content and presents analyses to RTA and Service Board staff and working groups.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Contributes to planning and analysis to identify travel patterns and mobility issues, and evaluate complex multimodal transportation networks. Researches new mobility solutions, emerging technologies and autonomous vehicles. Assists in the development of policy recommendations.
- Assists with maintenance and operation of the RTA’s regionally-calibrated version of the FTA STOPS transit project ridership model, including updates with new datasets.
- Assists with maintenance and operation of the RTA’s Geographic Information System (GIS)-based Access Index.
- Assists with RTA performance measurement work by conducting data analysis (performance metrics, trend analysis, geospatial) and contributing to reports and on-line dashboards. Assists with data collection from the National Transit Database (NTD) and other existing sources.
- Analyzes and maps data to understand travel patterns trends, regional demographics, and transit market characteristics. Assists in regional and sub-regional planning studies to assess short- and long-range transit markets and the feasibility of proposed transit projects, services and strategies.
- Assists with development and maintenance of Strategic Asset Management system to inform regional funding needs.
- Supports annual progress reporting on regional goals and measures of the Regional Transit Strategic Plan, and implementing strategies of the Plan. Assists with updating/developing the Plan on a 5-year cycle.
- Assists with transit and travel surveys to update and supplement existing regional resources.
- Prepares extensive written content that includes technical documentation of models and tools developed by RTA; documentation of study methodologies, results, and recommendations; and summarized study results. Prepares charts, graphics, and visualizations for inclusion in documents as needed.
- Prepares materials and makes presentations of study results to RTA and Service Board staff and committees as well as non-technical audiences.
The RTA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The RTA reimburses for travel at the federal rate for mileage reimbursement. Relocation is not available. For more information about the RTA, visit our website at www.rtachicago.com.