Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario and its goal is to create a transportation network that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. It leads the planning in the region with its Regional Transportation Plan that guides the work and investments of the organization. It builds light transit, bus rapid transit and Regional Express Rail and operates GO Transit, UP Express and PRESTO.
The Rail Network Planning Office is seeking two (2) Transportation Planners (one permanent and one contract up to 18 months) to deliver comprehensive strategic and technical transportation analysis to develop plans for new services and associated infrastructure requirements, and for optimization of existing services in support of corporate business, market, service, and long-range planning objectives.
- Manages projects for new, expanded, or modified rail services to accommodate growth, changing markets, and provincial/municipal transportation plans.
- Coordinates projects with other internal offices for input, development of recommendations, implementation, monitoring, and administration.
- Conducting market research and transportation analysis to develop and evaluate proposals for new, expanded, or modified rail services to accommodate growth, changing markets, and provincial/municipal transportation plans.
- Developing plans and business cases for new and/or expanded services including resource requirements, revenue and ridership projections, and capital and operating cost estimates.
- Monitoring and analysing services to identify and develop alternatives for improving their quality, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Recommends strategic service design, identifies and evaluates existing resources required to provide optimum levels of service, and identifies potential improvements to service to meet objectives
- Representing GO Transit on external planning studies that potentially impact rail infrastructure and/or service.
- Completion of a diploma/degree in Transportation Planning, Urban Planning, Transportation Engineering, a related field – OR – completion of an apprenticeship program with trade certification –OR – equivalent work experience.
- Minimum four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in transportation planning or transit infrastructure planning, preferably focused on commuter rail or rail-based transit.
- Strong working knowledge in rail planning, rail operations, and/or track and signal infrastructure.
- Proven abilities or proven related abilities in rail scheduling and rail operations simulation software including e.g. Trapeze, RailSys, OpenTrack, Rail Track Controller, etc.
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, and practices of transportation/transit planning, station planning, and data analysis
- Strong project management and technical analysis skills including data management, qualitative analysis, and quantitative analysis
- Knowledge of policy analysis and development process
- Experience using MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.)
- Interpersonal and oral/written/presentation skills
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online via (http://www.metrolinx.com/en/aboutus/careers/current_opportunities.aspx), no later than June 3, 2018
Please be advised, Metrolinx uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
Please be advised that a Criminal Record Search may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.