SCB is seeking an innovative, creative, and thoughtful urban designer/planner to join our collaborative urban planning practice in Chicago. Responsible for project development, research, and technical coordination of an assigned planning project, while working under the supervision of a Project Manager, Senior Planner or Principal.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to general preparation of planning documents, technical writing, concept design representations, and studies of various types as directed by project leaders
- Assists in preparation of the work products in conjunction with senior team leaders including the format of drawings, mock-ups, schedules, data summaries and specifications or descriptions
- Prepares design and technical drawings and written descriptions. Performs project related research on particular topics associated with the assignment
- Develops and coordinates work with others on project team.
- Researches local regulatory requirements as they relate to the project and checks documents for compliance
- Effectively organizes work efforts based on assigned time-frames for project completion. Implements strategies for correction when tasks take longer than expected or when unexpected impediments to progress occur.
- Exhibits a results oriented attitude and takes initiative toward all aspects of the project assignment
- Understands basic zoning, building and accessibility code requirements and applies this criteria in work performed.
- Contributes to team effort by cooperative and interactive working methods
- Seeks input and direction from supervisor at appropriate times while striving to generate solutions independently
- Understands and conforms to SCB’s procedures and CAD standard and other drawing standards, implements accordingly.
- Works effectively in a team atmosphere with a willingness to learn. Supports the project and studio team constructively at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills / Attributes
- A bachelor’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning or related field with a strong focus on urban design and the built environment.
- 2 or more years of urban design, landscape design, master planning, and/or urban planning project experience.
- Proven ability in design thinking and creative problem solving.
- Knowledge of sustainable design practices.
- Demonstrated understanding of urban design and architectural design, including building form, site planning, land use planning, and zoning codes.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator), ESRI / GIS, AutoCAD, and one 3D modeling program (such as Sketch-up or Rhino) required. Experience with Revit and/or ArcGIS Pro software desired.
- Knowledge of online engagement tools and the ability to prepare simple websites is also desired.
- Organized, with high quality written, graphic, and verbal communication skills.