For more than 75 years, NBBJ has been guided by a vision to design for life. We are an award-winning global design and architecture firm, a creative company fueled by ideas, and a place where everyone is empowered to contribute to creating a better practice. Recognized as the world’s most innovative architecture firm by Fast Company, we have partnered with some of the world’s leading companies and institutions — Google, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Stanford University and Massachusetts General Hospital, among many others — to set new standards for performance, organizational culture, health and wellness, and technology- and data-driven design.
NBBJ Seattle is looking for a talented, junior Urban Designer with 3 to 5 years of experience, to contribute their design expertise and join our Urban Environmentspractice.
Working closely with multi-disciplinary teams and studio design leaders, this position is responsible for conceptualizing and integrating urban design concepts intourban design and planning projects. The successful candidate will embody strong conceptual design abilities, strong communication and teamwork skills, and the motivation to engage with the array of NBBJ’s resources in achieving high-performance, sustainable outcomes.
Initiative, drive, an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to focus in evolving conditions are keys to success. We are looking for a team player with an innovative spirit to visualize and communicate urban design initiatives and early architectural concepts for master planning efforts. NBBJ is a collaborative culture which requires individuals to work both in teams and independently and thrive in ambiguity.
Your New Role:
- Contribute to the development of high-performance urban design and public realm concepts
- Produce rapid visualization of analyses and concepts that can be transformed into built works
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, accepting mentoring and guidance
- Help win the right work – profitable, innovative, and aligned with NBBJ’s design vision
- Research precedents for ongoing work and stay current with best planning and urban design practices
- Advance NBBJ’s reputation as a leader in design by participating in industry conferences , community volunteer programs and social media communications
What you will need to Succeed:
- 3+ years of experience in the design profession with a focus in Urban Design, Planning and/or Landscape Architecture
- Excellent computer rendering, massing and other graphic visualization skills
- Hand rendering sketching capabilities
- LEED Accredited or within 18 months of hire
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interest, experience and/or expertise in sustainable design practices
- Ability to thrive in an ambiguous, dynamic and collaborative environment
- Comfortable with multidisciplinary and multi-cultured design teams
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, familiarity with Revit a plus
- Proven knowledge of 3D modeling capabilities in Rhino and Sketch-Up; Grasshopper strongly desired
- Working toward planning certification (and/or licensure in related field) preferred