SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Urban Designer for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
- Responsible for various portions of master plan and site plan development documents as well as team working on assigned tasks within a project.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the urban design and planning of large projects.
- Lead and coordinate a team of junior and intermediate urban designers
- Develops urban design and planning concept incorporating site planning, landscape planning, transportation and infrastructure systems.
- Oversees the preparation of complete design documents on major projects and reviews all documents.
- Reviews design documents for compliance with approved program requirements of the client.
- Support client and multi-disciplinary sub-consultant team communications.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Completion of four-year or five-year architectural degree program and graduate of one-two year urban design / planning program.
- Minimum six years progressively responsible experience in all phases of urban design and planning and substantial experience in the design of large scale projects.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of architectural and/or urban design and planning, documentation, zoning codes, diagramming, massing, building and open space typologies / morphologies, and development cost estimates.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of architectural and/or urban design and planning practice including programming, master planning, site, landscape, transportation, and infrastructure planning.
- Demonstrated excellence in urban design, 3-D building massing conceptualization
- Outstanding graphic presentation skills.
- Candidate must demonstrate computer skills, including proficiency with AutoCAD, Adobe CS Suite and presentation software.
- Highly-motivated, good team player, and possess strong oral and written communication, and organizational skills.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy